The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Flu pandemic 1918

stevem49

Hello Each

I would be obliged if any medical experts could give me leads to the Flu pandemic of 1918.

My Granddaughter has it as a project and my knowledge is close to zero. Are there any good websites etc.

Cheers

Stevem

Steve

Not so much for detailed medical knowledge; but for public perceptions of the flu, I found that scanning local newspapers for late 1918-early 1919 to be really worthwhile and rewarding.

Steve,

For a School project it may well be an idea to look at the Ripley Castle excacations of the Ingleby ancester who died 1918 or 1919 and was encased in a lead coffin, hopefully allowing the strain of 'flu to be identified. We covered this a bit on this site but a Google may resurrect some more info.

Phil.

Cheers both.

According to Mrs M (nurse) the latest research suggests that the majority of the deaths were not from 'Spanish' Flu. Therefore the comment that more people died of Flu than in the war would not be so.

sm

Click here for a recent thread on the subject. I found America's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918 by Alfred W. Crosby online on Google Books. It is in copyright status so Google limits the number of page views allowed.

Cheers both.

According to Mrs M (nurse) the latest research suggests that the majority of the deaths were not from 'Spanish' Flu. Therefore the comment that more people died of Flu than in the war would not be so.

sm

Many of the deaths I have seen from October 1918 were from pneumonia, but often state after influenza. Some places were hard hit. Burwash Hall at the University of Toronto's Victoria College was being used as an R.A.F. training centre. The online version of CWGC doesn't mention Burwash, but I can give you a list from my hard copy. Then you can compare them with the death certificates available at ancestry.ca (use a pay-per-view). I looked at Cadet Andrew Walter Moore, and together with two other deaths on the page, he's broncho-pneumonia as immediate cause, with influenza preceding. If you send me you email address I can forward that page to you.

See this thread as well: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=99337

Michael

Michael

Many thanks for the ancestry pages. Aimee will be more of an expert than me at this rate!

Pete

I never thought of checking for previous threads :blush:

I never thought of checking for previous threads :blush:

Someone once told me that he made certain allowances for those of us who once jumped from perfectly functioning airplanes.

Someone once told me that he made certain allowances for those of us who once jumped from perfectly functioning airplanes.

:P

For an excellent overview of the subject, I can recommend the book The Great Influenza by John M. Barry. The book looks into the story on many levels from scientific knowledge of the day, research, origins, the outbreak, effect on the public, methods of control, etc.

One thing he looked at was the effect of the flu in military training camps and troop transports.

As for a good primary research source, you can read the original war diaries of the troopship Scandinavian which travelled back to Canada with returned men during the epidemic. The war diaries outline what were the main measures taken on board the ship to handle the epidemic when in close quarters on a troopship. Look at the "November 1918" war diary entries here:

The Scandinavian War Diaries