The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

How can I find more info on P Rooney MM KIA 23 Aug 1917

TonyR

Hello all, trying to find out more info on my cousin Patrick Rooney, would be good to hear why he was awarded MM.

Details are:

From CWGC

ROONEY Initials: P - Nationality: United Kingdom - Rank: Serjeant - Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text: 45th Coy. - Age: 20 - Date of Death: 23/08/1917 - Service No: 3174 - Awards: M M

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Rachel Rooney, of 1, Bellevue Terrace, Military Rd., Cork.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: I. I. 137. Cemetery: YPRES RESERVOIR CEMETERY

Medal Card:

Rooney Patrick H. - M.G.C. Sjt 3174 - R. Suss. R. 10733

Victory Medal Roll: M.G.C / 101 B page 16

British Medal Roll: - do -

No service papers on A*****y

His MM is mentioned on page 347 of 'Supplement to the London Gazette 6th January 1917'

Not sure what to do next, any help or advice welcomed. Thanks, TonyR.

Tony

As a first step, you should work through the points noted here: http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad.htm

WO 363 service records covering surnames beginning with R have not been released yet, so don't give up hope.

SDGW notes place of residence and birth as Cork and that he was KiA.

Paul

Tony,

Have you downloaded his other MIC: see NA WW1 Campaign Medals. The MIC held under WO 372/23 is for his MM. It will not give much detail (name, number, gazette reference) but may include his unit details, just in case he was with a different MG Company to the one in which he served when killed.

Usually the best chance (still not good) of finding info on reason for MM awards are the local newspapers.

All the best,

Stuart

Service papers may give a clue - therefore worth a trip to Kew (or wait till Ancestry upload it at some point in the future, if they exist). Whilst there, I'd also look up the MGC Company war diary. Non-infantry units tend to be better about including this sort of information - the event is usually around 3 months before the Gazette date.

As Stuart suggests have a look at the local papers - boyh for around the MM award date and, also, for any obituary of him

Thanks Paul, Stuart & John for the extra info and all the tips, it's appreciated. Will have to try and get to Kew later in year, unless Ancestry upload service papers before then.

In the meantime I shall try the local Cork newspaper for any mention of his MM & obituary. Regards, TonyR.