Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Animals Monument project in France

Guest Florian

Guest Florian

Soon, the French Memory will set up a monument at Couin near Pas en Artois (Pas-de-Calais) to the memory of the animals employed during the two world wars.

This monument will be the only monument, in France, commemorating the animals employed during the two world wars of information will be added soon to enable you to follow the realization of this event.

The date of inauguration is not yet definite.

For all your reactions on this subject, send me an e-mail For more informations or to support the project, please contact :

Souvenir Français comité d’Arras et environs

71 rue Raoul Briquet

62217 BEAURAINS

France

post-19-1081541790.jpg

Glad to see the animals are finally getting some recognition. However there already is a memorial to the pigeon which carried out Commandant Raynal's last message from Fort de Vaux.

"aux colombophiles morts pour la france au pigeon de verdun"

I recall seeing ai monument to horses Melbourne when I was last there. I'll see if I can dig up a photo.

marc

The pic looks as though this is to be against/part of the garden wall in Couin that carries the (re)painted water cart sign. Why there? Any particular reason?

Hello,

I don't say I am not agree with such a project but it let me a strange feeling anyway.

Here is the only monument (Chipilly / London Division) with an animal as central subject I know. Pictures I borrow to www.chez.com/picardie1418 . A beautiful and special one.

May be of topics : During WW2, Was it German or Soviet who "trained" dogs to bring and sa explose mines under ennemy tanks ?

REgards- Nicolas

post-19-1081585304.jpg

I finally searched though my picture archive and found the Horse Memorial from Melbourne.

marc

post-19-1081810647.jpg

With a close-up. It is hard to read when reduced to 600 pixles wide, so if anyone wants a better copy please eMail me.

He gains no crosses as a soldier may,

No medals for the many risks he runs

He only, in his pussled, patient way

'Sticks to his Guns'

post-19-1081810919.jpg

We obeyed unconditionally; we served bravely; we suffered like humans; we deserve it!

post-19-1081811637.jpg

I dont see why anybody would have a negative veiw to regnise animals who helped in the war-------its only people who would use an animal in a negative way

• 3 weeks later...

Not World War One but a Horse Trough and Fountain in Keepers Corner, Surrey.

The inscription reads:-

"In memory of the mute fidelity of the 400,000 horses killed and wounded at the call of their masters during the South African War 1899 - 1902 in a cause of which they knew nothing. This fountain is erected by a reverent fellow creature."

Steve

There is a memorial to animals in Edinburgh Castle WW1 memorial.

Cher Ami, a carrier pigeon, is his/her own memorial, she is at the Smithsonian. She was the last pigeon of the Lost Battalion in the Argonne. If you don't know their story look for reprint of fine book by that name, 2 authors, 1 is Johnson I think.

There is a memorial to animals in Edinburgh Castle WW1 memorial.

There are several carvings in the Scottish National War Memorial to all the animals which served during the war: horses, beasts of burden, carrier pigeons and even the tunnellers friends - the canaries and mice.

If they thought they should be commemorated eighty years ago who are we to quibble about a new monument now?

Thanks

Adam

Wow, this is really cool. As an animal lover I am glad to see so many places around the world took the time and money to recognize the sacrafices of animals for "a cause of which they knew nothing."

Andy

Andy I remember the Terraine quote but where was the action? What division is 105 Regmt? I am going to bet some of the fighting around Marne Salinet July 16 or so, thanks.

• 2 months later...

One of the few newspaper obituaries to an individual horse that I have ever come across. From the sports pages...

post-19-1090791460.jpg

The memorial at Pagny-sur-Moselle features a poilu with his dog (alsation I seem to remember).