Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A. & S. H. to Seaforth Highlanders

archangel9

The following list of MIC's are for men who served with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, and later transfered to the Seaforth Highlanders, some more than once and some later transfered to other regiments.

Most of the Seaforth Highlanders numbers start S/407**. I have been going through this list trying to find either service or pension records to try and nail down an approximate date of transfer from Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders to Seaforth Highlanders. So far no luck. Can anyone help?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.d...p;gst=&so=3

Cheers

John

John,

Had a look at SDGW casualties of S/407xx series Seaforths with former ASH service. 31 are listed.

22 were former ASH men, predominantly placed in the 5th Bn Seaforth. Their casualty dates are from 7th Apr 17 (2nd Bn) as the earliest; then quite a few all 5th Bn, with date of death 9 Apr 17.

Thereafter at varying dates until the last, on 5 Aug 18 - 5th Bn also.

Lowest number S/40735 - 5th bn - (formerly S/10361 ASH) died 16 May 17. Highest number S/40799 - 9th bn - died 7 Jun 18 (formerly S/14440 ASH).

It would seem that the transfer to the Seaforths, based on these dates, would have been around early 1917, but of course it would not have happened all at once and no doubt the later casualties were later transfers. Perhaps significantly in this respect, most of the 1918 casualties were not in the 5th Bn and are higher up the number scale than the earlier, 1917, 5th casualties.

Ian,

Cheers for that. I should have thought about checking SDGW. I am going to keep looking for service or pension records but its very useful to know that the transfers seem to be early 1917.

John

• 11 months later...
Guest jjbeaton362
Ian,

Cheers for that. I should have thought about checking SDGW. I am going to keep looking for service or pension records but its very useful to know that the transfers seem to be early 1917.

John

Hi - I am new to the list, and came across your query about transfers from A&SH to the Seaforths. My father's uncle, one Donald Beaton, was in that category, and I have found his attestation papers on ancestry.co.uk, which give the date of the transfers. i can check this for you, when I have a moment, and will come back to you. He died of wounds on 24/4/17, having been involved in the attack on Guemappe.

James

Guest jjbeaton362
Hi - I am new to the list, and came across your query about transfers from A&SH to the Seaforths. My father's uncle, one Donald Beaton, was in that category, and I have found his attestation papers on ancestry.co.uk, which give the date of the transfers. i can check this for you, when I have a moment, and will come back to you. He died of wounds on 24/4/17, having been involved in the attack on Guemappe.

James

Hi

As I said on the list previously I have dug this information out. Donald Beaton's full service record is not available, but what there is is a record of his transfers. He seems to have joined at Stirling, and was in 8th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders initially, with the number 5169. He was transferred to1/7 Argylls on 11th of February 1917, this under Army Order 201/16. This sheet is dated 23rd February 1917.

The next dated sheet, which is 3rd May 1917, states that he had been posted to the 8th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders on 23rd March 1917 and gives the new service number S/40930.

The next sheet, dated 13th June 1917, uses three numbers 302599/5169, and 238006, and states that he was transferred to 4th Battaliion Seaforth Highlanders for onwards tranfer to 8th Battalion Seaforths.

The final dated sheet is 20th June 1917. This gives his original unit as 5th Battalion Argylls, and the sheet states that he was transferred from 4th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders to that regiment's 8th Battalion on 23rd March 1917.

So the progress of his transfer is from 8th Argylls to 1/7 Argylls on 23rd February 1917, then at some unspecified point to 4th Battalion Seaforths, and then on 23rd March 1917 to 8th Seaforths. They took part in the attack on Guemappe on 23rd April 1917, and he died of wounds the following day.

Hope this is of some use.

James