Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Cross Train attacks

marc leroux

I read "Best O'Luck" by Alexander McClintock last weekend (wonderful read) and was wondering if the attack on rail cars with the Red Cross symbol on top by German aircraft had truth to it, are there other references to it? And if it was true, was this a frequent occurance, or a one-of?

Thanks

marc

No info on that I'm afraid. I have come across an order (38th Welsh Division) authorising the shooting of German stretcher bearers working in N-M-L after giving them one warning.

Apparently the Germans were moving machine guns from position to position hidden under a blanket on a stretcher! Don't know if the order was acted on...

Bernard Lewis

Guest stevenbec

Another propagander victory for the allied forces.

That trains carrying wounded were attacked by aircraft on either side is taken as most proberly true, weather the pilot understood that he was shooting at a hospital train is another question.

Like wise ships at sea, were the allies using hospital or civilian ships to move munitions?

As for using SB to move MG's, how stupid, why would a MG crew be moving around NML to set up a MG? If we can see the SB/MG crew, we can call down fire so why would they move it and in full view. I think some officer is reading to much into a simple act. Then again its not the first time that either we or the Hun/Turk used the RED Cross/Cresent as a cover for some act.

Such is war.

S.B