Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M J Mulvaney

C_W_Kennedy

Hello all,

I am researching my Great-great Uncle Michael John Mulvaney, a soldier in the New Zealand Rifle Brigade during WW1.

So far I have found his details on the Auckland Museum Cenotaph database which lists his Number, Reinforcements Body & Next of Kin.

However I seem to have hit a bit of a dead end.

Im looking for whereabouts I could get a photo & any other information.

I have had a read through other posts of this nature, and seeing the wealth of knowledge available here am really looking forward to finding out as much as I can.

I am eventually looking forward to making a memorial board for him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Craig Kennedy

P.S I hope I have done this right, any other information I have I will put here as soon as I find out.

Craig

Surname MULVANEY

Given Name Michael John

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 2

Regimental Number 29966

Rank Rifleman

Next of Kin Title Mrs E

Next of Kin Surname MULVANEY

Next of Kin Relationship Mother

Next of Kin Address Mahitahi South Westland

Roll 43

Page 25

Occupation Roadman

Source: Nominal Roll

You’ve seen this:

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/C...5&Ordinal=4

His personal file is at Archives NZ:

http://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?OID=7853983

In terms of a photo - difficult because he survived the war and unless he was wounded and had his photo in a local newspaper it would be a bit like hunting for a needle in haystack.

If you are not in a rush I will take a look at his file for you.

Zack

It's a bit confusing when there are two postings on the same soldier!

Zack <_<<_<

Hi Zack,

I apologize for that, This is the first posting I did. Then I found out he had been awarded the DCM.

From now on i will use this thread as the one I respond too.

Once again,

If you could have a look at his file for me Zack that would be gretly appreciated.

Regards

Craig Kennedy

Hi Craig,

I have also found these references to Mulvaney in the NZRB Official History.

This quote is in relation to fighting on the 8th of October 1918 4 miles south of Cambrai.

Now the barrage lifted and the advance was resumed. The 1st Battalion's companies had become somewhat intermingled, but they pressed steadily up the spur, the centre line of their advance leading directly towards the Mill on the sky-line. For the most part the enemy's resistance was easily overcome; the Mill was enveloped, and this position, as well as the greater part of the objective along the road, fell speedily into our hands. Most of the casualties sustained were caused by machine-gun fire from the flanks, particularly from Esnes, which lay close to our right, and from which those of our sections clearing the banks and tracks and sunken roads on the steep southern slope were clearly visible and within short range. On the right of the objective the enemy had a strongly-wired trench system projecting from the village and looping across the road. Three machine-guns firing from this temporarily held up the right flank. Here Rifleman M. J. Mulvaney, who was in charge of a Lewis gun section, set to work to relieve the situation. Taking up a position on a point of vantage, he opened fire to cover a flanking movement, thus drawing fire upon himself. Marking down the nearest gun and watching his opportunity he succeeded in killing the crew. Soon afterwards he silenced the second gun in the same way, and then forced the crew of the third to take cover. Now, without a moment's hesitation, he dropped his gun, seized a rifle, and with one of his men dashed forward into the trench. A few minutes' exercise with the bayonet sufficed to complete his work, and the remainder of the garrison of the trench surrendered. The 1st Battalion was thus in possession of the whole of its allotted section of the objective. Consolidation was at once proceeded with, and a defensive flank formed facing the north-west of Esnes till the 2nd Brigade troops should come up.

Once again over the next couple of days I will try to find the Citation for his MM.

Regards Aaron.

Mulvaney, Michael John 29966

DCM

Corporal, 1st BN, NZ Rifle Brigade

LG space 18 February 1919, p2423

Citation, LG 10 January 1920, p482

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on the 8th October, 1918, near Crevecoeur. On reaching the final objective it was found that the enemy, about fifty strong, was holding a strongly wired fence with three machine guns. He was immediately singled out by an enemy machine gun, but with his second burst of fire he killed the Nos. 1 and 2; a moment later he disposed of the second machine gun in the same way.

MN

Corporal, 1st BN, NZ Rifle Brigade

LG 17 June 1919, p7700, Rec No 3222

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty near Le Quesnoy on the 4 November 1918. During the attack on this date Corporal Mulvaney was in charge of a Lewis gun section. On coming to the railway line he encountered an enemy machine gun which was holding up the advance of the Company on his right. Ordering his No. 1 to engage the gun he himself worked round to a flank and alone rushed the post-capturing the machine gun and four of the enemy. By his prompt action and disregard of danger he undoubtedly saved is Battalion a great many casualties. Throughout the action he led his section with dash and set a fine example to his men.

Source: Honours and Awards to the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in the Great War 1914 - 1918 by Wayne McDonald page 229

Zack

Thank you all so much for the information, from what we have heard in the family we know that he was awarded a medal.

Didn't think it was both the DCM & the MM.

A tragic postscript to his story is he survived the war virtually unscathed and settled in Ross, South Westland NZ.

He was a runholder on a farm, and whilst crossing a river on horseback was drowned. That was in 1921.

I have found what would be a quite useful NZ website called papers past, where you can search old NZ newspapers up to 1920.

I found this about him -

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/p...-1+Mulvaney-all

No luck with a photo however. Seems a tragic end, especially when he survived the horror of the western front.

As for his medals, we seem to think they disappeared around the time he died.

Once again thank you all for the information so far.

Regards

Craig Kennedy

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

NZ Archives Have digitized a copy of his service file, which is great news -

http://www.archives.govt.nz/docs/?pid=archives:18511

However due to my inexperience with all of this, I am having some trouble deciphering what is written.

Was he in the 3rd Auckland Regiment at one stage?

Also when he enlisted was he put into the Wellington regiment?.

I see that he was in the 18th Reinforcements, however on the cenotaph website it says he was in the 12th Reinforcements.

If I read correctly he was in hospital at one point?.

Its a bit confusing to an amateur, if anyone has any advice I would be greatly appreciative.

Kind Regards

Craig Kennedy

• 1 year later...

Hi Craig

I'm researching Mulvaney as my great aunt is Michael's mother Elizabeth Burns; my gran's sister (1of13). I have photos of the Mulvaney family including Michael, he is posted on Michael is my great uncle. As you may see from my post this was/is my brickwall! If the link does not work go to rootschat New Zealand Mulvaney should be near the top

If you want to PM I'll send you what I've got.

Joe

• Admin

Joe

Craig hasn't been active on here for some months- you might be better off emailing him.

Michelle

Joe

Craig hasn't been active on here for some months- you might be better off emailing him.

Michelle

Michelle

I think the 5 post rule appiles as I can't get access to his pm. Is it possible admin could forward the reply?

joe

Hi there,

I've emailed Craig (via his profile) your post.

Cheers