Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

TWO ARMY NUMBERS ?

LUDDITTE

Hi. have done a little research into my grandfather's WW1 service and got his medal card details and Certificate of Transfer to Reserve on Demobilization. It appears he has two army numbers - one for the Army Service Corps (enlisted 16/11/15) and one for the 1/5th Battalion South Lancashire Regiment from which he was discharged at the end of the war. I know he was a baker pre WW1. Why two army numbers ? - Does it mean he was in the ASC but was attached to the 1/5th Bn SLR possibly as a baker ?

He was in the Army Service Corps then joined the 1/5th Battalion South Lancashire Regiment. You will find this a common thing to transfer between regiments.

Regards,

Phil

Many servicemen were issued more than one service number for various reasons it's not uncommon, if you post the MIC on the forum we can give you clearer information.

Regards

As the war went on and the need for Infantrymen increased (especially at the start of 1918) some men in non-frontline units were drafted to Infantry units for the rest of the war.

If you let us know his details, we may be able to discover some more information.

A November 1915 enlistment suggests a voluntary enlistment under the Derby Scheme, which would have been followed by a later mobilisation depending on age and marital status. Most of these men were called up during 1916.

Steve.

Thanks for answers. I assume MIC is medal card ? If so i've tried to upload it but apparently file to large. Must apologise for my ignorance but I'm new to this. He was Pte Harry Turner, Regt No. 56034.

Ludditte,

click on my website (in my signature) and email it to me, and I'll post it on here for you.

Luddite,

South Lancashire Regiment numbers 56001 (Corrick, Lewis) to 56040 (Yost, Frank W H) seem to have been allocated to ASC Bakers who transferred to the 5th South Lancashire Regiment on 15th April 1918 from "A" Infantry Base Depot in France. They would have joined their battalions within a month or two of the transfer.

Steve.

Thanks for your replies - I will email MIC to you CT. The info about ASC transferring is very interesting Steve - thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

In WWI there were no 'army' numbers, they were unit numbers and moving between units - even battalions of the same regiment - could result in a new number.

The correspondence section of the card is blank.

post-5692-1245241599.jpg