Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sandgate, Kent

DDP1955

Hi Guys

Apologies, but this is going to be a little off-topic, but only a little

I am researching an RAMC surgeon from the Great War but am now starting to look back into his life before the war

He was living in Sandgate, Kent - I believe that is near Shorncliffe Camp

Could somebody tell me if there are other camps and / or Military Hospitals in the area

Many thanks

Dianne

Dianne,

First... did you go back to the thread on Indian awards - I posted your subject's CIE gazette in there.

Second, from personal and army experience.. Yes, Sandgate (now effectively a suburb of Folkestone) is very close to Shorncliffe, it's literally 'down the hill'. At least one other camp at Shorncliffe was/is St Mary Plain.

The man who knows is Charles Fair, a forum member.

First... did you go back to the thread on Indian awards - I posted your subject's CIE gazette in there.

Hi Phil

I didnt go back to the Indian Awards post, but have done now, I'm glad I did ....

I managed to find the C.I.E. gazette a few days ago, the first time I've succeeded at finding a gazette, although I saw 'Brevet' there and had no idea what it meant. Thanks for the description, one less thing for me to try to get to grips with .... As I didnt know what 'Brevet was, I also didnt know it was something that would be gazetted so I now have your references and will find the 1916 gazette as well

Strangeley when I first started to look at Lt Col Crossley, I did a trawl of the internet and could find nothing, so presumed I was trying to find a man who to all intents and purposes was forgotten. It was there though, just not initially easy to find

Thanks also for the information on Sandgate

Dianne