The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Post armistice casualties

Vulcan works

Good morning,

I tried this question on The Aerodrome Forum a couple of weeks ago. I hope you won't mind if I throw down the gauntlet here and see if I get any more luck!

Does anyone have a ready source of info for post Armistice casualties? I am trying to find out how Ronald Towers Minors met his end on 27th March, 1919 in a 'flying accident'. The last movement I have for him is 88 Sqn BEF to WTS 6th December, 1918.

Many thanks,

Mike

Welcome to the forum

Have you tried contacting the RAF Museum to see if they have his casualty card?

Mike,

I can tell you what happened to Capt Minors. There is a Casualty Report at Kew for this airman. He was piloting DH9A E9715 of 18 Sqn that day on a mail flight when he was caught in a snow storm. He stalled and crashed at Profondeville in Belgium, and died of his injuries that day.

There are other references to him in Sturtivant and Page's very excellent DH4/DH9 file, which also quotes these details off the Cas Rep. Let me know if you want them - for example, he had a crash on landing in 18 Sqn DH9A E8426 just two weeks earlier (9.3.19).

Regards,

Trevor

Thanks Trevor, I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to find out what happened to Captain Minors. I misread my notes from his service record - on a second viewing he returned to 18 from WTS prior to his accident. I will put some time into seeing if I can locate his final resting place and let you know what I dig up (no pun intended).

Regards,

Mike

Name:MINORS, RONALD TOWERS

Initials:R T

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Royal Air Force

Secondary Regiment:Worcestershire Regiment

Secondary Unit Text:and

Date of Death:27/03/1919

Additional information:Son of Mrs. Eleanor Minors, of 56, Tettenhall Rd., Wolverhampton.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:IV. B. 1.

Cemetery:BELGRADE CEMETERY

Regards,

Phil

Many thanks Phil - that will teach me to be more careful with the search on the CWGC site!

Can I also thank everyone else who contributed, as I would have ended up going round in circles for months with this. I will see if I can get my Belgian friend to look at it from his end and see if anything else pops up.

Regards,

Mike