Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Royal Garrison Artillery

Guest Ducie

My Grandfather Philip BRICK No. 55789 a Bombadier of the Royal Garrison Artillery, won a DCM somewhere in France. According to the London Gazette he won the DCM for conspicuous bravery.

Can anyone help me find what unit, coy, or brigade that he was in, where he won the DCM, any other information please.

From family I was told he was gassed and he was wounded in the leg.

I also believe he met my grandmother at a place called "Rubery", I have since found out that it was a hospital in Staffordshire, I think.

As I am in Australia, I cannot get to the PRO.

Philip was born in Craven Arms Shropshire on 16 Dec 1893, Parents were:

Edward and Priscilla BRICK.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you

Ducie

Good Day Ducie

Welcome to the forum. Craven Arms is just down the road from me. I have the 1918 Absent Voters lists for South Shropshire, I will have a look later and let you know if it records his name. The Absent Voters lists gives address' plus in most cases it gives full unit details. I'll post my finds later in evening or tomorrow.

Annette

I have just looked at my copies of Absent Voters for South Shropshire and the only area I do not have is Craven Arms -sorry if I raised any hopes.

Annette

Guest mintydog

With reference to the RGA.

Why are some of the units referred to as Company and others as Battery, whereas all the RFA were batteries?

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Nigel: Prior to the war the RGA had all companies, rather than batteries. During the Great War most of the RGA companies became either Siege Batteries or Heavy Batteries, but a few companies were never converted and remained as companies. Regards. Dick