Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Family visit to Ypres

DaveNich

Can anyone recommend possible activities/places to visit in the Ypres area that would be suitable for a family?

I need to make sure that I have a balance of the places that I wish to visit and a few places suitable for the family that are not to do with the first world war.

We will stay in Ypres and will travel by car.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

David and family

Depends how far you wish to stray from Ieper, and for how long. Here are a few:

Bellewaarde Park, funfair, on the battlefields.

Swimming pools in Ieper and Poperinge.

Hop Museum in Pop.

The coast, at say Nieuwpoort or Oostduinkerke. Take a tram ride along the coast too.

Oostend.

Brugge (needs a day).

Bakery museum near Veurne.

If the children are very small, there is a fun park at Adinkerke that used to be called Melipark and I think is now Plopsaland.

Hi,

A day out in Gent is always nice. Cathedral, Castle, Canals, Good Resturants and Cafes, all in the town center and without the rip off tourist prices of Brussells and Brugge. It is only 50 km (30 miles) from Ieper.

Brum

if you like a 1914-1918 museum who is also interesting for newbie to WW1 try the Passchendaele 1917 memorial museum in Zonnebeke next to the church.

opens on 24 april 2004

I agree with Brummy, Gent is great for a day out, good shopping and a lot less busy than Brugge.

Do not visit this weekend though! The girl’s rugby team I train in Gent are having an Easter tournament so I'm sure at some point I will be stripped naked and chained to a lamppost. Not a pretty sight for a visiting family.

Dave