Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering Vimy Ridge

Terry

As I pause to think back on the assault on Vimy Ridge in 1917, in particular I think of the medal groups in my collection which were earned by the men of the Canadian Corps during this battle.

Of these groups I appreciate in particular the following casualties:

- Lieut.J.Sinclair,87th Bn (died of wounds)

- 204820 Pte.W.Farquhar,47th Bn (died of wounds)

- 757229 Pte.G.I.White,19th Bn (wounded)

- 63540 Pte.L.Lawless,4th Bn (wounded)

- 675452 A.Cpl.A.G.Bosworth,38th Bn (wounded)

- 427197 Pte.J.Lafontaine,16th Bn (wounded)

- 111473 Pte.B.W.Stiles, 8 TM Bty (wounded)

In addition, 418736 Sgt.William A.Brewer, 42nd Bn, who was decorated with the Military Medal for his gallantry that day. Brewer's medal are illustrated below.

post-4-1081473984.jpg

Brewer's citation: "On April 9th,1917 during the attack on VIMY RIDGE, this N.C.O. displayed conspicuous skill and courage in directing the capture of an enemy machine gun and crew, and later by assisting in the reorganization of his company, all the officers having been wounded. 18 months service."

Terry, nice tribute.

I know I'm a bit thick but what is the medal on the far right, with the black ribbon?

Peter in Vancouver :huh:

Terry,

Nice tribute, and I share your thoughts. Very nice medal group to Brewer.

Regards

David

PS: Broz, I think the medal on the right (who's ribbon is actually emerald green?) is the Colonial Auxiliary Long Service Good Conduct Medal.

Terry:

Nice idea for a thread on this day. I can't share a Vimy-related medal group to remember Vimy. However, in reposting this photo I used in a prior thread about the 85th Bn CEF, I can share (below) once again the visage of one who experienced it. This sturdy-looking individual (cropped from a vintage group photo of early officers of the Bn.) is Capt. (later Major) Percival William Anderson, MC. He led the Battalion's assault (C & D cos) on the enemy strongpoint at Hill 145 at Vimy. From the Bn history, "...Captain Anderson was in the lead and although every officer and man around him, including Captain Crowell, had become casualties he rushed up to and into the German stronghold. The first Hun officer he met he shot dead in his tracks, the next who was right close to him with hands up he ordered to remove his belt. The German, who knew no English, did not understand and act quickly enough and Captain Anderson grabbed him, tore his belt off and nearly shook the life out of him with his powerful grasp. By this time, some of the NCOs and men were also inside "doing their bit" and it was only a matter of a few minutes before all who had not killed or succeeded in getting away were taken prisoners and a "nasty situation" was cleared up..."

Also from the Bn history:

"One of the outstanding men of the Canadian Corps in the whole Vimy engagement was Captain Percival W. Anderson of Baddeck. His part in the final destruction of the enemy at Hill 145 has already been related. He captured several machine guns and was always in the open inspiring his men by his dauntless courage. He engaged himself in hand-to-hand encounters with the enemy fighting with pistol and bayonet and sometimes with his fists. After consolidating in the advanced positions he put out patrols one of which got caught in enemy machine gun fire, and before reaching cover one of the men got badly wounded. His groans were heard in no-man's land and Captain Anderson became aware of the situation. This man was in a desperate position as the whole field was raked with gun and rifle fire. It was too dangerous to send anyone else and, as was Captain Anderson's custom under such circumstances, he went out himself and carried the man back to a position of safety and then sent him to the rear."

Anderson was KIA 30/10/17 at Passchendaele, after playing a major role in planning and executing the Battalion's attack that day.

Chris

post-4-1081506374.jpg

The last medal, as David states, is the Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service Medal, which Brewer received around 1927 if I recall. It is named: C.Q.M.S. W.A.BREWER, M.M. R.H. OF C." Obviously had stayed with the Royal Highlanders of Canada (Black Watch). He actually re-enlisted in World War Two and served with the 3rd (militia) battalion of the regiment.

I had hoped that he may have qualified for the CVSM and war medal for 39-45, but apparently not.

In memory of

901955 Lawrence Keith Canning 42nd CEF KIA on this day.His name is on Vimy Ridge Momument,orginal 193 Nova Scotia Highlanders

902265 Joseph Richardson Wounded at Vimy.KIA at Cambrai.

222491 Roderick Richards wounded at Vimy went on to join the RFC.

A very proud day for being a Canadain but also sad.

Cheers

Dave

The memorial is on Hill 145. The 4th Division attacked the hill and met with heavy resistance. There were a lot of casualities in the 87th and 75th Battalions. Late in the day the 85th Battalion took the hill.

marc

Hi All:

Thought you might be interested in this newspaper article about the original cross that marked Lieut. N. H. Pawley's grave. Pawley was killed in action at Vimy on April 12, 1917.

Vancouver Sun

Saturday, April 10, 2004

Page A3

By Randy Boswell (CanWest News Service)

Garth

post-4-1081755371.jpg