Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aircraft Acceptance Park

mpjbrennan

While doing some research on the Armstrong Whitworth Aero plant at Gosforth, near Newcastle, I learned that it was known as No 9 Aircraft Acceptance Park. The title is to some extent self-explanatory, but could someone give me a clear definition of the term "Aircraft Acceptance Park"

Patrick

Patrick, British aircraft in WW1 were manufactured by a variety of companies (ie not always the main companies such as Sopwith, the Royal Aircraft Factory, the Aircraft Manufacturing Company et al) and in many instances sub-contracted out from the main manufacturer. Before they could be sent out to their allotted squadrons they first had to be assembled fully and flight tested - this was carried out at one of the Aircraft Acceptance parks. Often, new aircraft were transported by rail to an Acceptance Park in sections, where they were assembled. Aircraft Acceptance Parks were also used to store the flight-tested machines until they were required in the field.

Regards

Steve

No 1 Aircraft Acceptance Park was formed at Radford, then on the outskirts of Coventry. It started as a private venture by Daimler and was quickly joined by Siddely -Deasey and Humber. Aircraft were towed by road to the site for testing. I don't know when it came under military control unfortunately, but if anyone could help, I would be grateful. Incidentally, Coventry was the centre of military aircraft production in WW1, with one quarter of the nation's output being produced there.

TR

AAps were created during mid 1917. Prior to that time, new machines were delivered to Farnborough for werection and testing by the Aeronautical Inspection Department. This included BE2cs and early FK8s from Gosforth. Much of the testing was done by pilots of the SARD.

The massive 1917 expansion of the RFC meant that Farnborough could not handle the workload and the testing of new machines was develved to centres of aeroplane production, including Newcastle. 9 AAP opened on 1 August 1917 to handle AW and, later Sanderson-built FK8s and BFs. It was classed as a 1 Section Park (the smallest category - total Newcastle output was only about 2500 machines). It was re-designated 9 (Newcastle) AAP on 12 October. Towards then end of the war it also handled Sopwith Cuckoos from Blackburn and Pegler - Newcastle was conveniently about half way between Brough & Doncaster and East Fortune. The Town Moor aerodrome measured some 750x750 yards, not all of which was suitable for take-off/landing. There was a 1916 pattern GS shed plus 3 Bessonneau hangars. The HQ for 9 AAP were housed in 2 Osborne Terrace.

The unit hosted the RAF's first air show, the RAF Aircraft Exhibition, which ran from 12 February to 1 April 1919, with static displays, flying didplays and shows of aeroplane equipment. The event raised a lot for RAF charities but was marred when Lt F Fenwick of 9 AAP flew BF F4361 into the cable of a Caquot balloon, with fatal results for himself and AM J Underwood, his passenger. Visitors could ascend in that balloon's basket for the princely sum of one guinea but there's no mention of any civilian casualties. Interestingly, the IWM's RE8 probably owes its survival to the Exhibition. It was allotted to Newcastle for didplay purposes and moved on to Roundhay Park, Leeds, with the show. THE RAFM's Sopwith Triplane came from Marke for the static display and similarly moved on to Leeds. On 2 July 1919, it was announced that 9 AAP would close on the 15th of that month - its final duty being to transfer the machines and equipment from Roundhay Park to Tadcaster for storage.

The Town Moor site then became Newcastle Storage Park, doing what its name implied. It had an establishment of 2 officers and 50 men. The Storage Park had closed by the end of 1919 and the RAF notified uintention of the stations closure on 22 January 1920.

Many thanks Mick.

You may be able to help me with another query relating to Gosforth. The attached image is from an identity card of one of the female workers. It describes the factory as the "Airship Department". I have not come across any references to airships being made by Armstrong-Whitworth in Newcastle. Are you aware of any?

Patrick

post-6048-1244007939.jpg

In 1918 Armstrong-Whitworth had a number of orders for airships but these were cancelled before 1919. To have orders implies that you have somewhere and someone ready to build the things. Posibly the airship department suffered a severe contraction before it even got started.

R33 was of course Armstrong-Whitworth's airship but not built in either location.

That's interesting, as the id card is dated February 1919. (image of inside below) I suppose it's possible that the firm was using up old stock rather than having new cards printed, given that the closure of the factory would have been foreseen by then.

Patrick

post-6048-1244017633.jpg

Gosforth could have been a design facility and doubtless staff would have been kept on there longer than in an aircraft building yard. After all the government did not completely abandon airships so their would always be a potential for further contracts.

There were no airships built at Newcastle. The mention of Elswick on the card suggests very early wartime - parts for some of its first BE2as were built there - in the sawmills that produced ships' decking.

The 1914 AGM stated that the firm's manufacturing base would transfer from Gosforth to Barlow, near Selby. The airship construction station was built there but aeroplane manufacture stayed at Gosforth. I suspect the word airship may have been used (incorrectly) as a generic term to cover all flying machines.

The only airship built locally was, of course, the AP1 at Cramlington in the 1920s.

Interestingly, and as an aside, the early 1919 monthly RAF disposition lists give Newcastle Airship Station operating 2 flights of SSTs, with mooring out station at Kirkleatham. This must refer to Cramlington.

There were no airships built at Newcastle. The mention of Elswick on the card suggests very early wartime - parts for some of its first BE2as were built there - in the sawmills that produced ships' decking.

The 1914 AGM stated that the firm's manufacturing base would transfer from Gosforth to Barlow, near Selby. The airship construction station was built there but aeroplane manufacture stayed at Gosforth. I suspect the word airship may have been used (incorrectly) as a generic term to cover all flying machines.

The only airship built locally was, of course, the AP1 at Cramlington in the 1920s.

Interestingly, and as an aside, the early 1919 monthly RAF disposition lists give Newcastle Airship Station operating 2 flights of SSTs, with mooring out station at Kirkleatham. This must refer to Cramlington.

Unless of course they had started to form some sort of organisation in Newcastle, in anticipation of meeting the 1918 contracts, which then disbanded when these were cancelled.

• 1 year later...

Anyone know the location of 15 Aircraft Acceptance Park.

I have a sense that it may have been in the Manchester area but am not at all sure.

TIA

Anyone know the location of 15 Aircraft Acceptance Park.

I have a sense that it may have been in the Manchester area but am not at all sure.

TIA

Could have been Alexandra Park Aerodrome in South Manchester, opened in 1918, after Trafford Park Aerodrome closed, for the acceptance of Avro built air craft. It may be a coincidence but no 15 delivery flight in WW2 was based at nearby Woodford for ferrying Avro bombers to operational units.

1 AAP - Coventry

3 section Park plus 4 storage sections.

2 AAP - Hendon

3 section Park plus 4 storage sections

3 AAP - Norwich

2 section park plus 1 storage section

4 AAP - Lincoln (moved to Bracebridge Heath 1919)

2 section park plus 1 storage section

5 AAP - Bristol/Filton (moved to Eastleigh 1919)

2 section park plus 2 storage sections.

6 AAP - Renfrew

1 section park plus 2 storage sections.

7 AAP - Kenley

3 section park plus 2 storage sections

8 AAP Lympne

3 section park plus 2 storage sections

9 AAP - Newcastle

1 section park

10 AAP - Brooklands

2 section park

11 AAP - Southport

closed 11 January 1918 but continued in use for aircraft storage

12 AAP - Hawkinge

under construction at time of Armistice

13 AAP - Telscombe Cliffs (closed 10 March 1918)

14 AAP - Castle Bromwich

1 EHP section park (for Handley Page V/1500)

15 AAP Manchester/Didsbury/Alexandra Park

1 section park

16 AAP Aldergrove

1 EHP section park (for HP V/1500)

There were also un-numbered AAPs, mainly used for storage, at:

Birmingham/Northfield - under construction at Armistice

Brockworth - built for storage only

Buckminster - storage

Eastleigh - built for storage only, transferred to USN, returned to RAF control 1919 and became 5 AAP.

Feltham - storage

Inchinnan - for Beardmore HP V/1500

Leeds/Sherburn-in-Elmet - sorage

Oldham/Chadderton - for US

Shrewsbury - under construction at Armistice

South Shotwick - storage

Whitley Abbey - storage

Seaplanes and flying boats were delivered to:

[b]1 Marine Acceptance Depot, Hamble[/b]

2 Marine Acceptance Depot, Brough - had temporary detachments at Dundee and South Shields.

Flying boats for USN bases in Ireland were delivered to:

Queenstown NAS

Thanks for that, both. I know Alex. Park well - just need to think where it might have been in Didsbury (which is, literally, just down the road)

Princess Road runs through what was the middle of the air field. When I was a schoolboy in Sale I had a teacher who claimed to have flown from the airfield to Blackpool for his honeymoon on Britain's first internal airline (in a converted 3 seat Avro 504). Well it beats Ryan to Malaga (and I bet they had more leg room and didn't have to pay for in flight service.)

Here's a pic of Didsbury/Alexandra Park/Manchester - all 3 names were used. The autumn 1918 RAF Quarterly Survey of Stations only marked one triple GS shed unit but there were patently 2. There will be a site plan in a future section of the CCI Gazetteer of Flying Sites, 1912-1920 (either 41/4 or 42/1).

With regard to an earlier post: being in North East, I've an interest in local aviation and have looked closely at the AW concern. I haven't come across any reference to any WWI airship design taking place. The only designer mentioned during 1918 was F Murphy (Ara and Armadillo) who took over when Koolhoven left for BAT, taking test pilot Peter Legh with him.

post-13730-048187200 1288048585.jpg

Here's a pic of Didsbury/Alexandra Park/Manchester - all 3 names were used.

I'd be surprised if there was only one site using an interchangeable name of Didsbury/Alexandra Park. They are some miles apart.

Didsbury Aerodrome was at the old Whalley Range Cricket Club - there were questions about its disposal in the H o C at the end of the war (and reported in Flight) it was an RAF airfield and not an aircraft acceptance park - probably the reason for the apparent discrepancy in no of sheds - the plan is of one field and the photo of another!

Ah, this starts to make geographical sense now.

The Whalley Range Cricket Club grounds were a few hundred yards to the south of Alexandra Park (on what are now Hough End Playing Fields). They were appropriated by the RFC as an aerodrome in 1917 - why they named it Didsbury aerodrome, rather than the nearer districts of Whalley Range or Chorlton beats me. However, I can see how the two areas, both under the control of the RFC/RAF might be thought of as a single facility.

Attached is the plan of the site, as given in the autumn 1918 Quarterly Survey of Stations. There seems to be some confusion in one of the posts, which suggests that AAPs and aerodromes were different things. An AAP prepared and tested machines delivered from (usually) local manufacturers, prior to their issue to service units. Most ARDs, however, were not on aerodromes. 15 AAP was located in the survey as being 1 mile from Didsbury railway station, which may have been why it was so named, and occupied 212 acres. Its measurements were given as 1400 x 500 yards. The plan can be matched with the photograph, which was taken looking north-west.

whoops

post-13730-047032800 1288207556.jpg

Attached is the plan of the site, as given in the autumn 1918 Quarterly Survey of Stations. There seems to be some confusion in one of the posts, which suggests that AAPs and aerodromes were different things. An AAP prepared and tested machines delivered from (usually) local manufacturers, prior to their issue to service units. Most ARDs, however, were not on aerodromes. 15 AAP was located in the survey as being 1 mile from Didsbury railway station, which may have been why it was so named, and occupied 212 acres. Its measurements were given as 1400 x 500 yards. The plan can be matched with the photograph, which was taken looking north-west.

whoops

According to Flight's contemporary quote from Hansard Disbury RAF station closed in 1919. Alexandra Park (named after Alexandra Park railway station - one mile away) stayed open until 1924 when the owner of the land refused to extend the lease. I think John has the right of it - two installations one military and one civilian adjacent to one another.

I'm having a slight difficulty orientating myself on the map. The major road running diagonally top left to bottom right is, I think, Princess Road. Which would mean the road that it meets at the top left must be what is, at least now, called Wilbraham Road or Mauldeth Road (the two are close together). Although they may be the other way round.

In any event, I'd be reasonably sure this is the area that centurion notes as being the old cricket ground. Almost immediately north of Wilbraham Road, is Alexandra Park.

The reference to Didsbury station is interesting. Whilst it is fairly close, it is not as close as Fallowfield station. Perhaps the Didsbury route was more suitable for the airfield's needs.

This link to Wikipedia seems to both help and hinder. There's some better geographical information which confirms the location of the facility in the photo as being on what is now Hough End Playing Fields - but it calls this the Alexandra Park Aerodrome. Yet, as far as I can see, this is the same land as used to belong to the Cricket Club and was called Didsbury Aerodrome in the question raised in the House of Commons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_Park_Aerodrome_(Manchester)

Two names, same place?