Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fighter pilots

Guest Roger J. Marchant

:o

Hi Roger !

only if they had 'irritable bowel syndrome'! Seriously though, it's not something i've heard of, however, you never know! you can alsways ask on the forum at www.theaerodrome.com or alternatively, you can ask someone at www.crossandcockade.com. Hope this helps!

Tim W

I haven't heard of the nappy story, but the rotary engines used on many aircraft, such as the Sopwith Pup and Camel, the Nieuport series of fighters and Fokker Eindekkers and Triplanes, sprayed copious amounts of lubricating oil as they operated. Film footage of rotary engined aircraft taking off shows them almost enveloped in a cloud of oil vapour.

The lubricant used was castor oil, chosen as it didn't freeze or catch fire. Unfortunately for the pilots, flying in a constantly renewed cloud of castor oil meant that they ingested a quantity of the stuff. I read somewhere that a 90 minute patrol in a Camel meant swallowing about a tablespoon of oil. Aircrew had to either become immune to the oil's effects, or take blackcurrant juice, which was supposed to counter the oil.

:rolleyes: Definitely a case of When the S**t Hits the Fan!! Nasty!!!! :ph34r:

chosen as it didn't freeze or catch fire

It also retained its lubricating properties when mixed with petrol.

Nothing like the smell of burnt castor oil!

Mike

Guest Roger J. Marchant

Thanks to all respondents.

It was the castor oil bit I was trying to establish. BUT...what about nappies? surely someone must have seen some allusion to this practice (or can show it to be the canard it almost certainly is).

Any reputable reference gratefully accepted.

Thanks, again.

RJM