Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

scottish rifles 6th bn

billy201

Hi there I am researching, private Rodger McPhail s/n1449 6th bn Cameronians , I think he was killed on the 15/6/1915. I would like to know where he was born and where he enlisted, also anything I can find on him. Thanking you, all the very best, yours Inniskilling. :huh:

Born and enlisted Blantyre, Lanark and recorded as KiA on that date,

On 13th June the battalion moved to the frontline trenches east of Festubert. In his history of the Cameronians, Col HH Story, MC, records how the night before the attack planned for the 15th June, the enemy were heard to shout from their trnches - 'Come on, Jocks, we're waiting for you'. Come zero hour, the first waves went over the parapet ' Nothing but grim determination to close with the enemy' notes Col. Story ' Could have carried the men forward in the face of such massacre' The history of the 51st Division records how the men plunged into the German wire '...lacerating their flesh until they fell' German second line captured before dark but at great cost. The battalion held the gains until relieved around 4am on the 16th. The survivors marched to Le Touret where the roll was called - out of a strength of 705 only 357 remained. (Westlake)

Jon

Hi there Jon, thanks a lot for that, it was just great, all the very best, yours Inniskilling :o

Inniskilling. Just adding to Jon's post.

FESTUBERT. 15TH. JUNE 1915.

The Artillery on both sides was very active, and a good deal of hostile fire was directed on our fire and support trenches- during one burst of fire "D" Company in Support Trench sustained 16 casualties, and a number in "A" & "C" in the Fire Trench were hit during the day.

3.30 pm 15th June 1915.

Aye Rob.

Hi there Rob thanks a lot for that, all the very best, yours Inniskilling :o

• 1 year later...

Rodger McPhail was my great Uncle,have you found anymore information on him? and what is your connection to him

Regards

Matthew McPhail