Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wilfred Stevenson KIA 20/12/1916

Guest Lee G

Hello,

I have very little information about my Great Uncle Wilfred Stevenson of Broomhall, Cheshire (Top of the Town Farm) who was killed in action on the 20th of December 1916 aged 22 years. The date of his death is recorded on his grave stone in Acton church yard in Cheshire so his body must have been brought back after identification.

I was wondering whether any KIA records exist for that day during WW1. I realise this might be a long shot since I don't know which regiment he served with or where he was killed. I'm hoping that one of the forum experts could narrow it down further at least by advising me about what action was taking place on or around that day...

Many thanks,

Lee G.

Lee, this soldier (49572, 13th Bn., Cheshire Regiment) was killed in Action in Belgium and is buried in the Berks Cemetery Extension, near Ypres. Is his name and date-of-death included on his parents' grave perhaps?

Tom

Tom,

That indeed could be the case since his father, William, is the first name on the top of the grave stone and he died in 1923.

It's excellent news that you have found where he is. What was the source of your information? What else can I learn about him from your source?

Many thanks...

Lee

Lee

The Cheshires' history makes no mention of December 1916. The book does only mention significant actions, so it will be reasonable for you to assume that he was killed whilst the Battalion was "holding the line". To find out specifically what it was doing on the day, you would need to read the War Diary. A copy is at the National Archives in London, but the regimental museum in Chester has copies of most battalions and I'm pretty sure they have the one for the 13th.

John

Lee

This is, indeed, the place. Presumably, you do not live locally. If not, then I suggest you give them a ring. You'll find them helpful - I've been there a couple of times to do research. They charge personal visitors £10 a visit and, I think, this is what they might charge for doing the look-up for you.

Certainly cheaper than paying a professional to do a look-up at the National Archives for you.

Would you please let me know how you get on (the Cheshires are one of my particular interests)

John

John,

I'll let you know how things go. I actually live near Nantwich (only 20 miles to Chester) and I'd love to get down to the museum some day. No excuses for not going other than a busy family life at present.

Lee

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have finally received some very good information back from Chester Castle regarding my GGUncle Wilfred Stevensons death whilst serving with the 13th battalion of the Cheshire Regiment as follows...

It seems that he was killed during a raid on enemy trenches in positions near Ploegsteert Wood near Ypres on 20/12/1916. The objective seems to have been to capture or kill the crews of three Minnenwerfers (Trench Mortars) that had been giving the 13th problems. Wilfred was one of two men killed during the enterprise.

The battalion War diary reads as follows:

--------------------------------------------------

December

20th Wed.

Holding Line. A small Wirecutting operation was carried over during the afternoon, bombardment by all kinds of Heavy and Light Artillery, T.Ms etc. lasted from 3.10 pm to 3.40 pm. The objectives were :-

(1) To cut a gap in Enemy wire about U21.b.7.5. (junction of support & front line northern face of Birdcage.)

(2) To catch & kill any enemy about in his trenches with short surprise bombardments of selected points.

(3) To catch and destroy the personnel of the three located Heavy Minnenwerfers when they retaliated with short bursts of Artillery fire. A party was sent out at dusk to prevent enemy from mending wire & to catch any if possible. Casualties, 2 Killed 3 wounded.

---------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

LeeG.