Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London District Labour Centre

evanb

My grandfather Gregory William Hyde was a Private, No 379406, in the 18 Coy of LDLC. Can anyone tell me how to obtain any further information please?

Evan Geo.

Evan Geo

His records show that he was called up in June 1917 and originally in 105 Training Reserve Battalion.

Transferred to the Labour Corps on 6 October 1917 he was in 260 Company and employed at the 5th Army Infantry School. 260 was an Area Employment Company used to support the 5th Army.

Returned to the UK and in hospital he was transferred to the Labour Corps Clearing Office on 12 November 1918. This was done to men returned from France injured or ill who were in hospital and likely to be demobilised when discharged. In his case he was not demobilised as the record shows.

On 14 March 1919 on discharge from hospital in the UK he was transferred from 260 Company to London District and posted to 368 Company, which was stationed at Earls Court. Then on 25 July 1919 posted to “B” Company London District Labour Centre.

His was posted on 15 November 1919 to London District Employment Company. This Company appears to have been used to support military bases/hospitals in London area.

He was then posted to Eastern Counties Labour Centre on 22 January 1920. This is likely to have been an administrative transfer prior to his demobilization.

Ivor

• 2 weeks later...

A thousand thanks for that detailed information Ivor. I will pass it on to his daughter (my mother) who is still alive and relatively well in London.

Evan Geo

• 2 years later...

I am still trying to find more information about my grandfather Gregory William Hyde and beg some help as to where to look:

a) what injury or illness he suffered;

B) which hospital in UK he was treated;

c) would he have received an army disability pension?

What I have so far is:

He enlisted on 25 June 1917 in 105 Training Reserve Battalion, number 79406 (also shown elsewhere as 379406), transferred 6 Oct 1917 to Labour Corps 260 company; transferred 12 Nov 1918 while in UK hospital to Labour Corps Clearing Office; discharged from hospital 14 Mar 1919, transferred to 368 Company, London district at Earls Court; posted 25 July 1919 to "B" Company London District Labour Centre; posted 15 Nov 1919 to London District Employment Company (18 Company); posted 22 Jan 1920 to Eastern Counties Labour Centre (?prior to demobilisation?).

Any assistance to take this further will be gratefully received.

Evan Geo.

Evan Geo.

Gregory William Hyde's service record is available online at Ancestry.co.uk, a 14-day trial subscription is available if you don't currently subscribe which should be long enough to get the details you want, just remember to cancel the 14-day trial before it ends.

A quick check of the record for your queries shows that:

a.) He suffered from influenza and was hospitalised for 123 days.

b.) He was initially admitted to the Special Military Surgical Hospital at Edmonton N18 on 11th November 1918 but was transferred to an Auxiliary Hospital (presumably one attached to the Special Military Surgical Hospital) on 21st November 1918. He was discharged from Hospital on 13th March 1919.

c.) I saw nothing in his records during my quick check to suggest he received an Army disability pension (he was discharged according to Paragraph 392 (XXVIII) of King's Regulations which basically meant "On Demobilisation".

His record shows that he actually enlisted on 24th June 1916 but was then placed on Army Reserve and not called up until 25th June 1917 when he was posted to 105th Training Reserve Battalion at Edinburgh, his initial number whilst with that unit was TR/10/65778 (not 79406 which is actually 379406 his Labour Corps number).

Regards

Steve

Evan Geo.

Gregory William Hyde's service record is available online at Ancestry.co.uk, a 14-day trial subscription is available if you don't currently subscribe which should be long enough to get the details you want, just remember to cancel the 14-day trial before it ends.

A quick check of the record for your queries shows that:

a.) He suffered from influenza and was hospitalised for 123 days.

b.) He was initially admitted to the Special Military Surgical Hospital at Edmonton N18 on 11th November 1918 but was transferred to an Auxiliary Hospital (presumably one attached to the Special Military Surgical Hospital) on 21st November 1918. He was discharged from Hospital on 13th March 1919.

c.) I saw nothing in his records during my quick check to suggest he received an Army disability pension (he was discharged according to Paragraph 392 (XXVIII) of King's Regulations which basically meant "On Demobilisation".

His record shows that he actually enlisted on 24th June 1916 but was then placed on Army Reserve and not called up until 25th June 1917 when he was posted to 105th Training Reserve Battalion at Edinburgh, his initial number whilst with that unit was TR/10/65778 (not 79406 which is actually 379406 his Labour Corps number).

Regards

Steve

Thank you so much for that information, Steve. I'll follow up the ancestry.com suggestion and try to remember to cancel my membership in time!

Evan Geo.