Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chaplain got the MC for gallantry

Nick

Reverend W.H Aligonby was the Battalion Chaplain of the 2/4th Royal West Kents when he was awarded the Military Cross for gallantry whilst tending the wounded in fighting around El Khulweife, 17 miles NW of Beersheba on the 3rd and 4th November 1917 - a fight which cost the RWK's a significant number of casualties.

That's as much of the story that I know (courtesy of CT Atkinson's text "The Royal West Kent Regiment 1914 - 1919).

Can anybody add to his story? Would a citation still exist? Did many Chaplains get gongs?

I believe that Aligonby was formally the Chaplain of St.Edwards school Oxford and was prior to that the Vicar of Didcot.

I know of several examples of Chaplains winning MC's including one who won an MC and Bar (whose name I can't remember! :huh: )

There were several. One such was Rev. George Smissen, whose story can be seen here.

Edited by Chris_Baker

To add to my earlier post (now I'm answering my own posts):

From a Google search I read that Reverend W. H. AGLIONBY C.F.M.C. (presumably the same one!) was wounded near the Bois de Boeuf St.Remy Blanzy, south of the River Aisne and the town of Soissons on 29th July 1918. It appears he was attached to the 4th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment at the time.

You could try bouncing this off Paul Reed, he has great knowledge about all things Royal Sussex.