Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Albert Ball

Ali Hollington

Hi In Before Endeavours fade Alber Ball's crash site and grave are identified, but the story is "too well known to be reprinted here" or words to that effect (don't have my copy with me).

So what is the story of his crash?

Ali

Ali

Below is an extract from "The Sky Their Battlefield' by Trevor Henshaw that gives a very good summary of Capt Ball's end.

There has been speculation that he passed out during the flight, either from vertigo or through being struck on the head by an ammunition drum while re-loading his Lewis gun. We shall never know.

I hope this helps.

post-25-1081427383.jpg

Ali,

There is a book published on Albert Ball that I have. Here are the details:

Title: "Albert Ball, VC"

Author: Chaz Bowyer

Publication date: 1994

Publishers: Bridge Books, Wrexham

ISBN: 1-872424-39-2

This is a nice hardback book (approx. 200 pages), with huge amounts of information, containing Ball's combat record for 1916 and 1917, including Squadron, Aircraft, Date of flight, hostile aircraft type, and outcome. Contains some good photographs.

Regards,

Rob

Picture of Albert Ball VC gave I took a few years back

Keith

post-25-1081979398.jpg

Thank you all for your information and help.

Keith your photo now leaads me to further questions, is the grave in a German cmtry and his memorial doesn't look "standard" is there a story behind it?

Ali

With regards to the grave, not having my BEF to hand (still), did he come down on the German side?

Ali

Ali

Below is the first of two pages describing Albert Ball's end from Norman Franks' 'Who Downed the Aces in WWI?'.

This might help to answer your question.

Cheers

post-25-1082028227.jpg

If you live anywhere near it, you can see the memorial to AB at his old school in Long Eaton, Nottingham - Trent College. It incorporates the propellor of the plane that crashed, lovingly preserved. Worth a visit!

Hi Ali,

All of his medals and a few pieces off of his aircraft are on display in The Sherwood Foresters Museum housed in Nottingham Castle. It really is a great display and well worth a visit!!

Seeing the photo of Ball's grave has made me wonder why he hasn't got a standard CWGC headstone................Anyone know the reason?

I cant tell you the answer but I can give you some general info. Albert Ball is the only burial in an otherwise German military cemetery (village cemetery extension to be exact). I believe the CWGC considered exhuming the coffin and moving it to a British cemetery after the war but Albert Ball's father wanted his son's body to remain where it was originally buried with honour by the Germans. Albert Ball Snr also arranged a trust to pay the CWGC to look after the grave. He went on to buy the field where his son's plane crashed and erected a memorial at the exact spot.

Possibly Terry Denham can explain why the body/grave does not belong to the CWGC as with all (?) other WW1 war deaths.

• 1 month later...

Everything I've read about Ball here, on the RAF 56 Sqn webpage, and elsewhere led me to believe that he served and died with 56. Apart, that is, from the CWGC website from which I cite: " 58th Sqdn", presumably a typing error, or could there be another reason for the confusion?

Regards,

David

David

Albert Ball served in a number of RFC squadrons, but not No 58.

He was posted to No 13 Sqn in February 1916, and then to No 11 Sqn in May, followed by a period at No 8 Sqn before returning to No 11. Part of No 11 Sqn was sent to No 60 Sqn, and absorbed by that unit, during the Battle of the Somme. In October, Lt Ball was sent back to the United Kingdom as an instructor, and from there he became a flight commander in the newly formed No 56 Sqn, where he served until his death in action.

I hope this helps.

Dolphin,

Well, yes it does!

Now, how do we get the CWGC to make the change?

Regards,

David

Dolphin,

Well, yes it does!

Now, how do we get the CWGC to make the change?

Regards,

David

David

I would suggest contacting Terry Denham either by email or PM. He should be able to advise you what steps you need to take to get a change facilitated.

Guest Nigel999

Concerning Albert Ball's grave memorial..I'm sure I recall reading that Albert Ball senior paid for the private memorial...I've seen others..notably one at Lyness , of a Chinese orderly ....The inscription tells of the orderly saving the life of a Young Aussie sailor , who went on to be a important political figure in Australia...Wish I had made notes at the time as I cannot recall the names.

Guest Biplane pilot

Last night The History Channel had a half-hour segment on Ball in the "Vanishings" series. I saw most of it, and admit that they did a better job than normal. (There was a previous installment about Frank Luke that left a great deal to be desired.) I don't know if it will repeat. Anyway, the original cross from Ball's grave in the German cemetery has been in the chapel of Trent College for many years.

One other point in the recent programme shown on the history channel in the US, a German officer who was one of the first on the scene at the crash site, claimed that Albert Ball died from injuries suffered in the crash, not from any air combat injuries.