Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Cheshire's May 1916

brett361975

Im trying to piece together the service of Cpl James Maddocks 10th Battalion Cheshire Regiment. According to his service records he was in hospital on the 1st June 1916 with multiple gun shot wounds.

Assuming his injurys must have been recieived at the end of May 1916 can anyone help with locations or actions the regiment was involved with at this time please.

This man never returned to the front and accordin to his service records on the Ancestry web site he was posted to a munitions factory in Northwich until his discharge in 1918.

Has anyone come accross other soldiers posted to munitions factories?

Any help would be much appreciated

Kindest regards

Brett

Thank you John, that would seem to cover the period in question.

Kind regards

Brett

• 10 months later...
Guest christinejarvis22
Im trying to piece together the service of Cpl James Maddocks 10th Battalion Cheshire Regiment. According to his service records he was in hospital on the 1st June 1916 with multiple gun shot wounds.

Assuming his injurys must have been recieived at the end of May 1916 can anyone help with locations or actions the regiment was involved with at this time please.

This man never returned to the front and accordin to his service records on the Ancestry web site he was posted to a munitions factory in Northwich until his discharge in 1918.

Has anyone come accross other soldiers posted to munitions factories?

Any help would be much appreciated

Kindest regards

Brett

HI I am a new member but I think that my grandad Crpl John Thomas Howells who was in the 10th Cheshires may have been wounded at the same date and area in France. He also was in hospital at this time with gun shot wounds to his chest. According to his records he was seriously ill and transferred to Bath War Hospital on 16/06/16 where he appears to have been until 25/11/16. Then he was discharged as unfit and on a pension of 27 shillings My Mum had kept the things that he had in his breast pocket( which saved his life) a machine gun handbook, a tin of barker and dobson's limes with a hole blasted through it and his army notepad, burned at the corner.I have them mounted in a frame with a photo of him in uniform. In his notepad he had some poetry that he had written regarding that time. He did not go to the Northwich factory so I had not heard of that before. John's input was very good.

Regards Christine

Welcome to the Forum, Christine.

I'm sure members would like to read some of John's poety if you'd like to post it.

I'm assuming he must be the man with "pension papers" on Ancestry -army service number 15877. If so, then the papers show his date of wounding as 19 May.