Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fromelles Viewing Station

Paul Reed

This might be common knowledge, but I must say I was surprised to discover today - thanks to Lambis - that there is a 'viewing station' set up on the edge of Pheasant Wood to allow the public to see the work that is going on. Some photos from today for those who can't make it, sadly only taken with my Blackberry as I was working and didn't have my DSLR with me.

View towards Pheasant Wood site from the village.

3554283783_f70171a182.jpg

Viewing Station:

3555093420_f23e6b2339.jpg

Looks like good movement forward on dealing with the wave of public interest .. and it would seem much better weather than we are getting!

Des

What a pleasure to see Lambis in full swing.

Thanks Paul :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Thanks, Terry. I had somehow missed that. The info panels I suspect are the work of CWGC by their high quality?

Thank you for this link, I have logged on with great interest and subscribed to the newsletter,

Cheers

Shirley

Thanks Paul. I might not have gone up there next week if I hadn't known about the ease of being able to view.

Jim

Had a brilliant day in Fromelles today, after having a great French Lunch, with friends from Fromelles and Ieper we walked down to the Pheasant Wood Site as it was such a glorious day. It was absolutely brilliant, the panels are very interesting and it was great to see them all at work.

Also, had a chat with the guys doing the cemetery and they are hoping that the Cross of Sacrifice will be up in 4 months. I will keep checking on progress.

LizM

• 2 weeks later...

Good to read this thread, so pleased it appears things have settled down. Was woried the public interest may be discouraged. See you in around 10wks Liz.

Colin Stalgis

Remembering: Cpl Gregory Francis Stalgis

KIA - 19th July 1916

Fromelles

Paul, I will be taking a group over in August, where is the best place to park the bus? Is there much of a walk to the site as there is two disabled persons in the group?

Regards,

Phil

The lastest newsletter from the FROMELLES CWGC website has brought good news.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

• 1 month later...

Took my Uncle to the viewing station today and was most disappointed and upset at the fact that the memorial plaque already has graffitte on and it has been scratched on (in French).

Could not see much from the viewing post as now a huge marquee up and the soil was piled high right in front of the view.. Hopefully be better next weekend..19th!

On a good note however, fantastic pictures done by the children of Australia and UK for the screen at the position of the new cemetery and it was being painted whilst we were there. Its all coming on great!!

Hope to see some of you on the 19th July at the Memorial Service.

LizM