Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 20th May.

Cadet John Caulfeild Wolseley GATLIFF

Royal Navy

Died 05.07.15 Age 14

Buried: Alveley (St Mary) Churchyard, Shropshire, UK

L/Cpl Alfred Victor WINFIELD

18902 Royal Engineers

Died 27.01.19 Age 26

Buried: Shrewsbury General Cemetery, Shropshire, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

Both the above were put forward on behalf of member, ShropshireMad, on 06.05.08 and 26.02.09 respectively.

I've waited for this day for a while. It's tremendous to see them both remembered, i'll post some further info in a bit.

Neil

John Caulfield Wolseley Gatliff, was initially brought to my attention by a friend of mine.

He died at the Cadets sick quarters at Dartmouth, from cardiac failure follwing an operation to correct a blocked intestine. At 14 he's the youngest casualty buried in Shropshire.

post-31332-1242837197.jpg

May They Rest In Peace

Albert Victor Winfield. I discovered Albert whilst researching commemorative headstones in Shrewsbury General Cemetery in 2007. Albert resided, with his parents Joseph and Florence Winfield, at the Hen and Chicken Inn, Longden Coleham, Shrewsbury.

Albert enlisted in June 1909, he served with the BEF from August 1914 to December 1916, returning home due to Chronic Nephritis, he was discharged in April 1917. He died of Influenza and Nephritis.

Albert is now one of 3 brothers recognised by the CWGC.

Ernest Winfield, MGC, KIA 16/04/1918.

Leslie Winfield, KSLI, Died 18/11/1918.

post-31332-1242837868.jpg

Guest KevinEndon

Nice one Pike, doff the cap to you sir, it's amazing how many folks are on home memorials and missed off the CWGC list, keep up the great work,

Kevin

Guest KevinEndon

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 20th May.

Cadet John Caulfeild Wolseley GATLIFF

Royal Navy

Died 05.07.15 Age 14

Buried: Alveley (St Mary) Churchyard, Shropshire, UK

Look at this lads age, so young, is this the youngest we have found in recent years, he must be one of the youngest to die in the war.

Kevin

The previous youngest found by a forum member was another naval casualty aged 15 (ROWLEY found by Chris Harley).

Do you know how many 13,14,15 year olds are recognised Terry?

Neil

14 is the youngest war grave listed by CWGC but I have never checked the number.

There are many 15 year old naval casualties.