Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Bn Royal Warwicks CWGC burial

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Can anybody offer any suggestions ref the following ?

I have a 1st Bn Royal Warwickshire man, to F&F August 1914, and discharged January 1916.

No obvious reason for the discharge. No SWB award in the mics'. No service record surviving. No Ministry of Pensions file. Age at discharge 30 or 31 yrs. No signs of any subsequent service in any branch, including the RD.Corps, etc.

Died in 1919 and is buried in the UK. Does not appear in SDITGW, yet is in the CWGC database, correct regimental information given.

I've previously come across CWGC burials where death has followed discharge by a relatively short period, but how has this happened more than three years after his discharge ?

Any suggestions ? - regards - Tom

The information on post-discharge deaths was supplied to CWGC by the forerunner of the DSS (MoP) - or occasionally by the n-o-k.

Presumably either of these sources supplied sufficient info to prove that death was caused or exacerbated by war service between the qualifying dates.

I know for a fact (because I asked CWGC only this week) that they no longer hold documentary evidence supplied by the MoP for discharged men. It was assumed that once they were deemed to have qualified for war grave status, the proof would no longer be required!

Death due to or hastened by service conditions is often found in war grave deaths all the way up to 31.08.21 - often due to lung conditions made worse by gassing during service. There were many other examples after this date who did not qualify because they did not oblige by dying before that date!

Who is the casualty?

............... Presumably either of these sources supplied sufficient info to prove that death was caused or exacerbated by war service between the qualifying dates.

Terry - thanks for that. In fact the "proof" might have been very easily to hand because the man is buried in Birmingham (Witton) Cemetery, so there is a close (possible) connection with the adjacent war hospitals. He was also born and resided in Birmingham though, so maybe the location of the hospitals is coincidental (?)

Pte 9262 CJ Solomon, 1st Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment, died 9/4/19.

It was the time gap which intrigued me, together with the lack of a SWB.

regards - Tom