Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals close to Richmond, Yorkshire

DDP1955

Hi Guys

Oh dear, I'm going to lose all my credability now ....

Brought up, as I was, in Yorkshire, I now need help with Yorkshire ....

I'm researching a Yorkshire born and bred doctor, who was living between overseas postings in Richmond

According to the 1911 census, this is where he was and I have other evidence to back that up

He was there for about four years so must have been working in a local hospital, I wondered if it might be Catterick or if there was a military hospital in Richmond. I think there was an asylum in Richmond, but that isnt the place I'm looking for .... my doctor was a surgeon!

Dianne

What about The Friarage at Northallerton?

Woolly

There are military hospitals in Catterick not sure if they were there during your time period - but think they might have been

What about The Friarage at Northallerton?

Woolly

Richmond to Northallerton is at least 15 miles by road, it's simply too far to have been a daily journey in the early 20th century. I'm not 100% sure but I think that the Friarage hospital in Northallerton grew to what it is now due to it's locality to the Northern bomber Stations during WW2. i do know that at one point it was mostly wooden huts.

Based on the road / barrack names at Catterick Garrison the majority of it was built post WW1. The hospital used to be a series of wooden huts next door to Sandes Soldiers Home, my youngest sister was born there in 1977 but it closed the following year. A perfectly good hospital was built about this time just down the road opposite to White shops, it's spent most of it's life in mothballs & everyone has to go to Northallerton or Darlington.

Richmond is overlooked by a military barracks, my 1957 OS map refers to it as:- Infantry Barracks (19th Regimental District) The barracks have been converted into apartments & the barrack square has had housing built on it. Adjacent to the Barracks was a hospital, the building dates from the 19th century. It is currently used by the local highways department. There was also the Victoria hospital in Queens Road, this is now an undertakers. The old grandstand building on Richmond racecourse has also been used as a hospital.

Richmond is overlooked by a military barracks, my 1957 OS map refers to it as:- Infantry Barracks (19th Regimental District) The barracks have been converted into apartments & the barrack square has had housing built on it. Adjacent to the Barracks was a hospital, the building dates from the 19th century. It is currently used by the local highways department. There was also the Victoria hospital in Queens Road, this is now an undertakers. The old grandstand building on Richmond racecourse has also been used as a hospital.

Blimey! That's brilliant, I'd originally thought he was probably baed in Richmond, but just couldnt find an appropriate hospital. So was looking for a Military base elsewhere. It looks like he was probably working in Richmond after all. My surgeon was living in a road called newbiggin, is this on your map as well .... just looking at longshots now!

Newbeggin is in the centre of Richmond, just off the main market place, it's one of the older parts of town with mostly Georgian buildings. if you know what number he lived at I'll post a picture of it. Have a look on google earth, multimap or similar. A Newbeggin postcode is DL10 4DT. The hospital sits at the Eastern end of Green Howards Road, directly North of the market place.

Newbeggin is in the centre of Richmond, just off the main market place, it's one of the older parts of town with mostly Georgian buildings. if you know what number he lived at I'll post a picture of it. Have a look on google earth, multimap or similar. A Newbeggin postcode is DL10 4DT. The hospital sits at the Eastern end of Green Howards Road, directly North of the market place.

Hi Perce

Wow! Thank you for this. My doctor, Lt Col Henry Crossley, lived at 30 Newbeggin, Richmond. I have no idea whether he owned it or rented it, but he lived there with his wife marie and daughter Betty

Dianne

A view of Newbeggin looking East, Catholic church on the left, the old police station / gaol is first building on the right.

DSCF1068.jpg

Some hospital views

DSCF1073.jpg

DSCF1075.jpg

A couple more of the hospital

DSCF1076.jpg

DSCF1078.jpg

A picture of the barrack main gate, the entrance is just beyond the last building with windows. The hospital is approx. 150 yds along Green Howards Road.

DSCF1083.jpg

Hi Perce

Thank you so very much for taking these pictures, they add lots of colour to the research I have done on this doctor ...

His house certainly befits a surgeon, I think he was a Captain in 1911

I've not been to Richmond but it looks a very nice, typically Northern town, I'll have to visit sometime when I'm in Yorkshire

Is it possible to get access to this hospital or is it closed ... I'd really like to see the place where my doctor lived and worked

Dianne

I think you can only assume that he worked at this hospital, I suggest that you contact the following:-

http://www.richmondshiremuseum.org.uk/

http://www.greenhowards.org.uk/

I'd have hoped at least one of these organisations can provide further information.

The Hospital building is currently used by North Yorkshire Highways Department. They were due to be moving out at some point in the near future & the whole site was up for sale for housing development. I was told that the hospital building wasn't listed so it may face demolition. Having said that I used to work in a fantastic old building & being listed didn't save it either. I'm not 100% sure now about the sale / move as our local council is good at changing it's plans & wasting our money.

As for a visit, just knock on the door during business hours & blagg your way in!