Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Edwin Bedford Steel RAMC 1871-1914 Attached 20th Field Ambulance

Jessica S Fox

Hello,

I am new to this web site but I have been researching my family history for over 4 years. I wonder if anyone can help me regarding records of the 20th Field Ambulance and the 1st Cavalry Division.

My great great grandfather, Major Edwin Bedford Steel, was with the 20th Field Ambulance from August 1914 to about mid October, then he was promoted to Assisant Director of Medical Services (I think that was the full title) with the 1st Cavalry Division from mid or late October till November 23rd 1914.

On that day, he and a fellow officer, a French Liasion Officer called Baron Captain Le Jeune, were walking along a road in La Clytte, (French/Belgium border area). A shell hit them; Edwin had a shattered left arm and shoulder and a wound in his leg, whilst Le Jeune had a shell through him and a wound in his head.

Ages ago I had read that a colleague was quoted as saying later that Edwin;

'hadn't grumbled about being wounded; he seemed more concerned about his fellow officer, Le Jeune'

This struck me and I wondered for a long time what became of Le Jeune.

Edwin died on the way to the hospital and Le Jeune died at the hospital. I found much of this information out recently through a book by Frederic A Coleman, an American, with the Automobile club (or similar titled group.) Previously I had also found out little bits of information from a Medical Officers Diary, a Mr Hampson, who mentions Edwin several times, often simply as 'CO', as was his rank when with the 20th FA.

I also have Edwin's war diary/day book, but I'd like to discover any additional accounts of this time, of Major Steel and this particular period of the war.

Any information would be most appreciated

Yours sincrely

Jessica S Fox

Jessica

There is a War Diary at Kew for 20 FA under WO95/129 and runs from Aug 1914 throughout the War to Jun 1919. This unit is shown as attached to "GHQ Troops" ,I suppose unusually not attached to a particular Division. Someone here will definitely say if it isn't unusual !

You could also read this from the Long Long Trail,at top left of this page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/fieldambulances.htm

Sotonmate

J

There is a War Diary also for his specific job as Assistant Director Medical Services,from Aug 1914 to Sep 1919. WO95/1101.

Sotonmate

PS I am at Kew next week and will photo the pages of both if you wish,there shouldn't be many for that short time.

• 2 weeks later...

J

I have some pages of Diary on digipic.If you want them please send your e-mail.

You have the story anyway,he was hit by a shell at La Clytte in the morning and died in the afternoon,being buried the next day nearby.

Sotonmate

• 10 months later...

Dear sotonmate,

Thank you for your messages. I'm sorry I haven't replied until now I just haven't visited this forum in a while and usually I thought I might get an automated email when people replied to my postings but I imagine either this forum doesn't work like that or there was a glitch in the system.

Anyway, no matter. Thank you for your messages; I would love to see the pages from the Diary. Yes, I do know the details of Edwin's death (I also found a google book search brought up exact details of his injuries and the fate of his Frecnh colleague, Captain Baron Le Jeune who is referred to in his obituary as it was said he was more concerned about him than himself, as he lay there mortally wounded) but it would be very interesting of course to see these pages, thank you.

My email is pusher_42@hotmail.com

Thanks again,

Bye for now,

Jessica

J

I have some pages of Diary on digipic.If you want them please send your e-mail.

You have the story anyway,he was hit by a shell at La Clytte in the morning and died in the afternoon,being buried the next day nearby.

Sotonmate

J

Sent two pics from WO95/129.

Sotonmate

April 1914 Army List

Edwin Bedford Steel

DOB 16/9/1871

Previous service 3 years

Capt RA Med Corps 29 Jan 1898

Maj RA Med Corps 29 Oct 1906

Peter

Jessica,

You might find this link http://web.ukonline.co.uk/xenophon/contents.htm of interest. It's the diary of Travis Hampson, also an officer in 20 Field Ambulance. 19 and 20 Field Ambulances were both sent to France as army troops to begin with but after losses during the retreat from Mons were amalgamated, the rebuilt 19 Field Ambulance was then attached to 19 Infantry Brigade. It's been awhile since I've read the diary but I think that's the gist of it.

Regards,

Dave

Sorry, didn't realise you already had this info until I re-read your original post.