Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Hospital

chris basey

This is the reverse side of a postcard showing a group of wounded men (in blues), nurses and, who looks like the squire, around a Christmas Tree.

But where is it? Can anyone associate 'Generals House (?) Hos' and 'Grove House' with a location?

post-6-1081347819.jpg

Looking at the scanned version it looks more like 'Severals' ? Does this tie up with a Military Hospital in Essex?

Chris

Is it possible to have a look at the other side - the nurses' uniforms might give some clues to the type of hospital.

Regards - Sue

There was a Grove House in Stoke Newington Green, a former asylum. It is not on my list of asylums that were taken over as war hospitals, but it may well be that, I guess.

Sue

They are Red Cross Nurses. Would that indicate a VAD Hospital somewhere?

Are they all in the same uniform?

Big white 'handkerchief' hats or tied 'VAD style' at the back? Or a mixture?

Any different hats - frilly, or bonnets tied under chin?

The absence of any 'Army' nurse - i.e. nurse wearing shoulder cape of some colour would point to either Red Cross or privately run hospital/convalescent home. If there are definitely VADs in the picture then it's likely to be Red Cross.

And just another thought. It is possible to search the 1881 census by place, [although I haven't got the right software to do it on my copy], and also the 1901 census on-line. I wonder if searching 'General's House' and 'Grove House' might turn up a local match - there must be a lot of 'Grove' houses, but not that many 'General's'. It might be a bit of a slog, and costly on the 1901 - do you love it that much? ;)

Sue

A closer look at the text suggests the message is:

Post Card of Xmas Tree

at General's House Hos.

Given by Mr. & Mrs Baring

Grove House

Boxing Day

The use of capitals on so many words is unusual for an English writer??.

johng

I think there is a spelling mistake on the card.

I believe it reads "Severals House Hos."

I think it should read Severalls House Hos. This is located 2 miles north of Colchester.

Heres a link:

Severalls

I have contacted the email address on the site to enquire about the history of the place.

As soon as I hear back, I'll post.

Fatbob

Thanks, it looks a very likely candidate. Shall look forward to seeing what reply you get to your e-mail.

Best wishes

I have recieved a reply but I'm afraid it only deepens the mystery.

Hello Simon.

I dont think that severalls was used as a military hospital during WW I,

Soldiers where camped out in the grounds, i think that they where from the

suffolk regiment.

During that time Severalls would have been known as the second Essex county

asylum.

I hope that this helps you out.

all the best.

Ian.

I suppose to the locals it may have been known as Severalls if this was a longer standing name for the place. Second Essex County Asylum is quite a mouthful!

Sorry I couldn't give a definative answer,

Fatbob

• 4 weeks later...

I did some electrical work there in the very early sixties it was known to me and the company that I worked for as Severalls.

John

Interestingly, the response to Fatbob’s enquiry reveals the hospital had been an asylum.

In January 1915 a national scheme was implemented to convert 15,000 asylum beds for sick and wounded soldiers. The country was divided into areas, each area containing one asylum for conversion into a military war hospital. In many cases additional building work was required to provide operating theatres and x-ray facilities.

The change in role would have been accompanied by a change of name. For example the West Riding Asylum in Sheffield became the Wharncliffe War Hospital.

Severalls might have been the Essex area asylum converted to military hospital use. The local archives or local studies library might be able to provide more information.

Regards

Mark