Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Non Commerations

chrisharley9

I have always wondered why do we all do this - John Hartley says there is always a buzz when you get one In From The Cold which I will confess always happens to me when I get one in - I know personally when you find a possible non comm Im gripped by this total determination to see the job through to the last - my reasoning behind my search is that being an ex serviceman I cannot bear to see even one left out there totally forgotten

How do others of the non comm fraternity feel?

Chris

Guest KevinEndon

They paid the ultimate sacrafice giving up the rest of their lives for us, the least we can give up is a few hours a week to find them, after all they do deserve to be remembered. I do get a buzz when I get 1 through, a little reward for a lot of hard work but knowing full well that the person found will be remembered forever is the biggest buzz of all,

Kevin

I feel that it is a duty to make sure that we find as many non-commemorations as possible.

If in some small way I can help in that search, then that in its self is enough for me.

sm

Chris,

I was over the moon when I got my first non-com in. As for why I do it, because I care. And because of what my signature says.

Cheers Andy.

I know why I do it now - and, yes, it's partly the buzz.

The war is my hobby, interest, enthusiasm, passion - call it what you will. And I do what I do because I enjoy it - it fills a personal and selfish need - and I wouldnt want anyone to think that I had "higher motives".

I'd found the odd non-comm through my Stockport research and "got the buzz", but the thing that got me thinking about what's turned into the In From the Cold Project was constantly reading the "someone should do something" posts. Seemed like the only way that we could do what could be done was to actually get down to it and start checking lists.

Would I have been so keen if I'd known what a boring eye-straining, ball-aching job it was going to be? I'm really not sure.

John

John

You were warned! Still, Specsavers will benefit from the extra business.

The sentiment has to be - if it is right to remember one, then it is right to remember them all. The forgotten ones have slipped from sight but we can change that even after all this time.

For me simply because it seems the right thing to do. Sounds corny now I've written it but too often in life, what is right is overtaken by what is easy.

We all seem to be in it for more or less that same reasons - doing what is right - thanks everyone for their comments

Chris

You were warned! Still, Specsavers will benefit from the extra business.

Can we claim on our expenses for new specs? :rolleyes:

(For anyone reading this and taking it the wrong way - We do not receive any money)

sm

Steve

can I claim for a new brain :P

Chris

Still, Specsavers will benefit from the extra business.

can I claim for a new brain :P

A new Brian?

Don't understand.

I've passed 4 men to Terry, they were accepted by the CWGC. Kevin said i'd get a buzz from seeing a name up there that i was involved in, he was right, it was a tremendous feeling. However now i know what i'm doing i HAVE to get the men i've come across accepted. Now i've done one, it's an injustice not to do them all.

Neil