Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 German "Pigeons"

gord97138

Prieseterwerfer (Priest thrower) supposedly because it was designed by a Hungarian priest.

As an alternative to this, and purely speculation, a 'Priest' is used to kill fish...knocking them on the head. The work Priest is used as it 'administers the last rites'.

The Germans were, and still are, keen on fieldsports so it is possible....

As I say.. just speculation, but it's surprising how many sayings come from fieldsports.

Mike

Hello Mike,

The section regarding the Hungarian Priest was taken from the Regimentsgeschichte of the 109th Leib Grenadiere Regiment (1 Badische). The rear section on weapons clearly indicates it was an invention of an Hungarian Priest hence the name given to the thrower.

Pedro, You will have to take the measurements listed above and convert them to milimeters. I believe the diameter of the bomb was 68.58mm. I do not know what the purpose was for the groove and the stick and the end of the bomb were both made of metal.

Ralph

Ralph

Fact will win over speculation everytime.

A very interesting thread though and some great pics.

cheers

Mike

Pedro, You will have to take the measurements listed above and convert them to milimeters. I believe the diameter of the bomb was 68.58mm. I do not know what the purpose was for the groove and the stick and the end of the bomb were both made of metal.

Ralph

RALPH:

Thank you very much by its answer.

Translated and understood.

Pedro

• 3 months later...
Guest Chip Minx

All,

Just one more piece of information for this thread. Just for clarification, there were two patterns of fragmentary projectiles for the Granatenwerfer. The earliest, as described by Ralph, the "pineapple" shaped version with three fins and the later pattern (Wurfgranate 16) shown in Giles' pictures with the cylindrical body. A 1988 article in Zeitschrift für Heereskunde by Helmut Reuther, identifies two launcher models, the Granatenwerfer 14 and Granatenwerfer 16.

Chip