Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Tuesday 12th May.

Worker Susan Jane PEAKE

47444 Queen Mary’s Army Auxiliary Corps

Died 24.10.18 Age 27

Commemoration: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

Gnr Robert Arthur PERRY

67774 Royal Garrison Artillery

Died 01.12.17 Age 35

Commemoration: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

The above are cases from the ‘In From The Cold Project’

Susan PEAKE died of influenza and pneumonia in the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital, London. (Volunteer: Kevin O’Neill)

Gnr PERRY died of pneumonia in Broomhall Military Hospital. (Volunteer: Kevin O’Neill)

Guest KevinEndon

I believe that Susan Jane Peake is the first female to be found for the IFTC project, I hope Jim Strawbridge has picked up on it, so that he can add her to his excellent work or females who fell.

Kevin

May They Rest In Peace

Not a lot to add as I have only part researched her. Her name is on the York Minster panels so I was aware of her existance. So far as I am aware she was from Dublin - one of nine children of Robert Harding Peake of 4 Belgrave Place, Dublin. But at least two of her siblings were born in England. Robert was a widower in 1911 and Susan was the eldest daughter so she was probably managing the household at that time.

Raising a glass to the memory of Susan & Robert. Raising another to Kev. Just out of interest was Susan the only female member of the Armed Forces put forward or are there others in the pipeline?

Will

She is the only one found so far.

There are other females in the pipeline but they are not IFCP cases but names put forward on behalf of other people.

Will

She is the only one found so far.

There are other females in the pipeline but they are not IFCP cases but names put forward on behalf of other people.

Cheers Terry

• 3 years later...

PEAKE, SUSAN JANE

Rank: Worker Service No: 47444 Date of Death: 24/10/1918 Age: 27 Regiment/Service: Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps Panel Reference Addenda Panel Memorial BROOKWOOD (UNITED KINGDOM 1914-1918) MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Daughter of Robert Peake.

Grave found Church Ground St Pancras Cemetery - with thanks to CGM

• 2 years later...

PEAKE, SUSAN JANE

Rank: Worker Service No: 47444 Date of Death: 24/10/1918 Age: 27 Regiment/Service: Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps Grave Reference: Cemetery: ST. PANCRAS CEMETERY Additional Information: Daughter of Robert Peake.
N.B.

Recent research has shown that Worker Peake is buried in this cemetery. The Commission is actively working to commemorate her at this location.

Commemoration Moved From UK BOR.

• 6 years later...

Susan Jane Peake, added to screen wall at St. Pancras Cemetery.

P1101813_GWF.jpg.b4cc400c579fb3b6d3a616c

Edited by PaulC78