Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

JRR Tolkien Service Record

snailybailey

Hi, I have scoured Ancestry for the service record, MIC etc of John Ronald Ruel Tolkien (author of Lord of the Rings), and found nothing. His entry on the 1901 Census was tricky too but that's becuase his family are strangely listed as 'Tonkien' (not just a transcription error but actually incorrect on the original census). I have tried both spellings on Ancestry but no joy. I believe he served as an Officer in the 11th Bttn Lancs Fusiliers (as my Great Grandfather did) and was hoping to find his service record and MIC . Anybody know where I am going wrong? or does it not exist online?

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Glyn

Glyn

IIRC Ancestry do not have officers' service files - only ORs

MIC puzzles me though - I would have thought that would have been available. Having said that I can't seem to find Sassoon's MIC for example.... anyone know why?

Regards

Brian

Should be an MIC there but only one for a H.A.R. Tolkien, Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Checked the National Archives website. Only three Tolkiens listed and none refer to the author.

There is an officers service file at the National Archives under:

WO 339/34423 TOLKIEN J R R, Lieut 1915-1919

London Times has him promoted from Temp 2/Lt to 2/Lt from July 1, 1917 (Newspaper dated 24 Nov 1917) with Lancashire Fusiliers along with T.C. Cook and J.A. Glendinning.

Mark

MIC puzzles me though - I would have thought that would have been available

Did he ever claim them ... remembring he was an officer

Interesting point Archer - does the MIC record the issuing of (claimed) medals or the eligibility to them ?

Brian

We know that officers had to put in a claim. The Officer MICs I've seen give a forwarding address - most also indicate that the officer was obliged to complete and submit an EF9.

Did he ever claim them ... remembring he was an officer

I have had the same problem looking for the MIC of another celebrated author who served in the war, one Hugh J Lofting of the Irish Guards who came up with the idea of Dr Dolittle in letters home to his children. Cant seem to find his MIC anywhere.

regards Stuart.

I have been reliably informed that many of the most famous MICs "became separated" from the rest (long) before they went into the care of the WFA.

No promises but I guess this MIGHT be his officers file reference:

WO 339/34423 TOLKIEN J R R, Lieut 1915-1919

Steve.

I have been reliably informed that many of the most famous MICs "became separated" from the rest (long) before they went into the care of the WFA.

Steve.

Interesting - I wonder where they are now ???

Brian

The Imperial War Museum has Tolkien's Webley. If I recall correctly when the family found it a few years ago its donation to the IWM was allowed as opposed to it being confiscated as an illegal firearm. The IWM website used to have a photograph and description of the revolver but I don't know if it's online now.

Edit: The image of the Webley is available in the link below.

http://london.iwm.org.uk/server.php?show=C...2&navId=182

There is a book called "Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth" by John Garth, which is available cheaply on the Brazilian river site. Spotted it in a second-hand bookshop in Paris today but was short of cash. I may go back for it

cheers Martin B

• 10 years later...
2 minutes ago, Skipman said:

I can understand Tolkien's medal index card going missing but not the medal roll? Click

Mike

He may have decided not to claim them (and as an officer there would then be no entry) - do we know if he did ?

Craig

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

He may have decided not to claim them (and as an officer there would then be no entry) - do we know if he did ?

Craig

Fair point. Not sure if claimed or not. There's apage have just found will check it in a minute. Click

Mike

Before the war, Tolkien, then a pupil at King Edward's School, Birmingham, attended an OTC camp at Tidworth Pennings, where he scarred himself sliding down a tent pole to which a candle had been affixed with a knife.

Moonraker

11 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Before the war, Tolkien, then a pupil at King Edward's School, Birmingham, attended an OTC camp at Tidworth Pennings, where he scarred himself sliding down a tent pole to which a candle had been affixed with a knife.

Moonraker

the eyes water imagining that :-D

John Bourne gives an interesting talk on Tolkien.   I'm sure he will pop up somewhere to deliver it again.  So keep your eyes open!

Edwin

John Garth tells me that he has seen no evidence that JRRT did claim his medals.