Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Egypt Alexandria Camp Gabbari

Rockdoc

The first two Anti-Aircraft Sections to arrive in Salonika were 24th and 32nd AAS, which arrived in early 1916. The whole of 32nd and a newly-formed sub-Section of 24th AAS - there was only one gun in 24th while it was at Helles - each spent about two months at Camp Gabbari training before continuing to Salonika. Was there an Artillery training school at the camp in late 1915/early 1916 or was it just a convenient spot to practice firing a few shells and develop the establishment into a team?

Keith

Keith,

I can’t say for sure there was not an artillery training school at Camp Gabbari in 1915/16, but it seems unlikely given that Gabbari is next to the Western Harbour of Alex and on a narrow neck of land leading (looking west) to Mex. In other words, the camp couldn’t have been very large, and it seems to have served mainly as temporary quarters for the vast overflow of transient soldiers in Alex at that time.

Regards,

Russell

Thanks, Russell. I have to say that I'm confused because the War Diaries for both units specifically mention training as the reason for their being posted there. There was no land-based, British, AA defence at Salonika until 24th and 32nd AAS arrived and they went straight into action with no settling-in period as some of the later units had. 24th's A Sub was withdrawn from Helles and went to Salonika via Mudros. Some of the men were reposted but it still had a number of experienced personnel on arrival. 32nd AAS and 24th's B Sub were new units and, with their both going via Camp Gabbari for training, the most obvious reason was to gain experience with the equipment and each other.

Some AA Sections sent to Salonika in 1917 and 1918 were attached to existing Sections for training. I wonder if there were any AA Sections near Alexandria?

Keith

Keith,

Isn’t it possible that theory was taught in Camp Gabbari and the practical a few miles away in the desert?

Russell

Yes, Russell, it's more than possible this was how it worked. I don't know the geography of the area or whether it was guarded by AA Sections that would have provided first-hand experience for the new boys. Do you have any ideas?

Both units had their guns and 24th B Sub probably had ammunition lorries and, possibly, even the light car and motorcycle as they took a full establishment of 43 OR to Salonika from Egypt and reported with everything to the O/C at A Sub. The number of OR is higher than I would have expected as it's the establishment for a complete AA Section, including the ASC (MT) people. 24th A Sub was operating alone while B Sub was training so it's possible they were training a few reserves. 32nd were probably in a similar position as far as equipment goes as they disembarked their stuff and were in position ready for action all on the same day.

Keith

Keith,

I know the geography, but that’s all. The neck of land is about a mile wide, running E to W, with the Mediterranean to the N and Lake Mariout to the S. There were rail tracks running through Gabbari out to Mex and a few early19th century forts here and there. I have no idea if there were AA sections guarding the isthmus -- I’m not aware of any actual air raids on Alex in WWI. There was one in Cairo, however, so raids may have been considered possible at Alex as well.

Russell

Thanks for the information, Russell. It may be that the War Diary is not being strictly correct about the location of the units and that they practised gunnery away from the Camp itself while being officially posted there. You have to wonder how easy it was to train people in AA techniques if they had nothing to shoot at. It's not as easy as training against ground-based targets, that's for sure. I have read of a technique where a deliberate offset was placed on the aiming gear of the gun so that it could be fired at a friendly target and the accuracy of the shots gauged without putting the pilot and aircraft in peril. Some more delving seems to be in order.

Keith