Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Polderhoek Chateau

Terry Carter

Hello

Can any of the Belgian Forum members help me please. If I was to visit the area of where Polderhoek Chateau (off the Menin Rd near Gheluvelt) once stood, would I be able to see any remains or features in the ground to establish where it was. Would the concrete blockhouse still be there under the soil? Pictures would be appreciated.

My interest concerns the 5th Division attacks in Oct 1917 especially the part of the action that the three Birmingham battalions played (14,15,16 Royal Warwicks).

Thanks

Terry

Hello Terry,

There's nothing left to be seen there. I know the place very well, searched the fields there for years. (My grandparents used to live in the farm where the chateau once stood.)

If you walk the fields around there (which is no longer possible almost, because most of them are tree plantations) you could find bits of concrete and a lot of remains of the heavy fighting in the area.

Regards,

Jan

Terry-I visited the site with a cousin of mine a few years ago. His uncle, Corporal Matthew McKey, was killed there with the Birmingham Pals. We scoured the area but could find no trace of the chateau.

Nothing , absolut nothing left. I had the priviledge to walk a couple of times with Jan but the only trace was some brick rubble

Nothing , absolut nothing left. I had the priviledge to walk a couple of times with Jan but the only trace was some brick rubble

Chester my dog it's probably just as well, have the feeling you would have pissed on it anyhow! :lol:

Hi,

i am not 100% sure but if you stand on the road between reutel and polygon wood you may see some colour difference on the field where the chateau was. I like to double check it for you.

Does anyone have a pre-war photograph/picture of the chateau and a map of where it once stood?

Regards

Richard

post-4-1081409031.jpg

Many thanks for all the replies folks.

Hello Bkristof, I was at the Bruce Bairnsfather event in December. My mates were the 'City Batts' Great War living History Group, and I was taking the photographs. I take it you have e-mailed Kev. We will be on a weekend visit to Ypres on 17/18 April. I am led to believe or coach party is having a preview of the new museum where you help out. Look forward to seeing you then.

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry,

i was the Gordon Highlander!

Who will give you the preview? Franky bostyn?