Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trip to Arras

gillb

:D Hi I am planning to visit the Arras memorial and travel around the area re WWI places of interest (no thoughts where yet) for a week. Arras is my main purpose - everything else is a bonus. Does anyone have experience of doing this via public transport - ease? costly? possible?

Many thanks to any who can point me in the right direction!

Gillb

I've just come back from Arras, travelling around that area. It's easy enough in a car, roads are good and not too busy. It's a great place I think, a lot more buzzing than what I remembered from a few years back. It's obviously on the up and there are some great bars. A few of the great war cemetaries on the outskirts around Arras are in the ever expanding industrial zone. I'm afraid I can't help you on the public transport front... but any other questions?

There is a basic bas service around Arras, but I would stress BASIC. Some of the villages are reached by it, but the buses are not very frequent. You can also get a local train out to some places NE of Arras (such as Roeux); and then do some walking around and come back. If you are prepared to use your feet you will have no problem using the buses and trains to get to you there or back to an area; if you want dropping off and picking up, then you will need transport of your own.

My website has some ideas of what to look at in the area under the 'Hindenburg Line' section.

Hi

thanks for the info all.

Paul - I am sure I should know or know where to look but what is your website add?

Mark - anything really you think would be of use, good cheap place to stay, areas worth visiting? Is it generally safe wandering around on your own?

Guess I will be getting fit doing lots of walking!

Gillb,

I stayed at the Hotel De L'Univers. It was a Best Western, an american chain I think, and was very clean and quiet. Not inexpensive though- £70 a night (although not too bad between my wife and I!). There were plenty of other hotels in the centre as far as I could see. As far as what to do, check out Paul Reeds website for "Arras in a day"- we followed that and it was great. As regards safety - you'll be fine I reckon. We were treated with nothing but respect and friendliness there (apart from a surly French waiter one night... who cracked a smile when we turned up again to his restuarant the following night!). You can eat as expensively or inexpensively as you want on or off the two main squares... there's a great little beer shop and fantastic cheese shop as well.

Enjoy it mate.

M