Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Warnimont Wood & Curzon Post

dfaulder

I am trying to locate Warnimont Wood & Curzon Post which I believe are somewhere to the west of the Matthew/Mark/Luke and John Copses facing Serre.

Can anyone give me Trenchmap Refs - I am presuming they are somewhere on 57 NE or SE (which I can access via the McMaster collection).

TIA

David

I am trying to locate Warnimont Wood & Curzon Post which I believe are somewhere to the west of the Matthew/Mark/Luke and John Copses facing Serre.

Can anyone give me Trenchmap Refs - I am presuming they are somewhere on 57 NE or SE (which I can access via the McMaster collection).

TIA

David

Warnimont Wood was the site of hutted camps and was some distance behind the line. If you look on www.pals.org.uk/trenches.htm there is a general map showing the wood as almost midway between Authie and Bus.

Curzon Post is more of a problem. The only one shown on maps is just NNE of Pont Logy which is on the La Basseé road at M34 Central

Warnimont Wood was the site of hutted camps and was some distance behind the line. If you look on www.pals.org.uk/trenches.htm there is a general map showing the wood as almost midway between Authie and Bus.

Curzon Post is more of a problem. The only one shown on maps is just NNE of Pont Logy which is on the La Basseé road at M34 Central

Thanks,

I have now located Warnimont Wood on Google - it is just to the West of the coverage on the McMaster Trenchmaps (I need the sheet to the west of 57d - 57e?)

Curzon Post is a bit more problematic - M34 meaning Square M on sheet 34 - is agian not on the McMaster series (again to the west? or am I in the area where they change the sheet designations and I am getting confused).

David

The Curzon Post I've found is on Map 36 SW3 Richebourg Edition 8A in Square 34 central, trenches corrected to January 1917. That's the problem..it's nowhere near Serre. The terms 'Post' and 'Keep' are very common in the La Basseé sector rather than on the Somme front

The Curzon Post I've found is on Map 36 SW3 Richebourg Edition 8A in Square 34 central, trenches corrected to January 1917. That's the problem..it's nowhere near Serre. The terms 'Post' and 'Keep' are very common in the La Basseé sector rather than on the Somme front

Thanks, that is the place I was looking for (I had the timeline for the 14th Y&L out a bit, I thought they were still down opposite Serre, but the WD (Op Orders) indicates that they had been pulled out to Neuve Chapelle by 3/8/16 - Sorry, mislead by "in the field"!

David