Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sam Maxwell

Guest BEVAN MAXWELL

Guest BEVAN MAXWELL

:rolleyes: I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

I wanted to try and research my uncle Pte. Samuel White Maxwell who as a volunteer was

in the main body of the 1St. new Zealand contingent to Egypt.

He was wounded at the Dardanelles early in Sept. 1915 with shrapnel in his back. Taken to

a Cairo hospital then later transfered to a London Hospital .

After recovery period took leave to go to Ballymena Antrim to see an uncle then at some stage

returned to New Zealand on a troop ship .He was married on board somewhere at sea.

He was born in 1893 and I was born 1925 so big age difference But I did get to know him

in the late 40's . He was always turning up at our (Dad's) place in his old ute ,couple of dogs

in the back and a heap of hay and it might be 2am in the morning , so he beded down with

the dogs then wandered in for breakfast .

Anyway does anyone know of him or seen any record of him .

Max

:rolleyes: I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

I wanted to try and research my uncle Pte. Samuel White Maxwell who as a volunteer was

in the main body of the 1St. new Zealand contingent to Egypt.

He was wounded at the Dardanelles early in Sept. 1915 with shrapnel in his back. Taken to

a Cairo hospital then later transfered to a London Hospital .

After recovery period took leave to go to Ballymena Antrim to see an uncle then at some stage

returned to New Zealand on a troop ship .He was married on board somewhere at sea.

He was born in 1893 and I was born 1925 so big age difference But I did get to know him

in the late 40's . He was always turning up at our (Dad's) place in his old ute ,couple of dogs

in the back and a heap of hay and it might be 2am in the morning , so he beded down with

the dogs then wandered in for breakfast .

Anyway does anyone know of him or seen any record of him .

Max

Surname MAXWELL

Given Name Samuel White

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 11/202

Rank Trooper

Body or Draft Main Body

Unit or Regiment Wellington Mounted Rifles

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address Petone

Next of Kin Title Miss L J

Next of Kin Surname MAXWELL

Next of Kin Relationship Sister

Next of Kin Address C/- Mrs Kerry 30 Palm Grove Newtown Wellington

Archives New Zealand; Archway

Please quote this information to request this record

title years

MAXWELL, Samuel White - WW1 11/202 - Army 1914 - 1918

agency series accession box / item record part alternative no.

AABK 18805 W5549 11 0079552

Archives NZ Wellington.

RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY

Access to this Record may be restricted, please check with staff from the following office before you order it.

Access Statement:

All personnel files are open, except for reference enquiries from private individuals in sealed envelopes, which are restricted for 10 years from date of transfer to protect the privacy of enquirers. At the end of this 10 year period, the restrictions shall be reviewed jointly by the New Zealand Defence Force and Archives New Zealand. (Note: the sealed envelopes do not contain information about service personnel, they are enquiries from private individuals only).

Microfilm copies of personnel files for personnel who served beyond 1920 are restricted on the grounds of privacy. The microfilm reels may not be issued to the public, but Archives New Zealand staff may search the reels and provide copies of information on personnel whose service ended before the end of 1920. This restriction will be reviewed when the remaining service records for personnel who served beyond 1920 are transferred to Archives New Zealand.

Archives NZ probate reference

Please quote this information to request this record

title years

MAXWELL Samuel White - Tauranga ex Katikati - Retired 1968 - 1968

agency series accession box / item record part alternative no.

BBAE 1570 Box2058 1200/1968

OPEN ACCESS

Anyone can order & view this Record from the following office, please quote the Archives Reference (see above) or print this page.

(Record must be ordered & viewed in this office)

Archives New Zealand Auckland, Regional Office

95 Richard Pearse Drive

Mangere

Auckland 2022

Cenotaph database

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/c...5&Ordinal=1

marriage to Rose Rebecca Busby registered in NZ in 1921

He appears to have stayed on in the Army at least for a while after his return.

Christine

PRIVATE Samuel W. Maxwell, formerly of Killyless, of the New Zealand Contingent, is at present on a visit to his friends in Ireland, after being treated for wounds received at the Dardanelles (Gallipoli). Private Maxwell and his paents emigrated to New Zealand some seven

years ago and, at the outbreak of war, he volunteered his services and accompanied the main body of the first NZ Contingent to Egypt where he finished his training. His contingent was called to the Dardanelles at the opening of hostilities and he was wounded early in September 1915 by shrapnel in the back. He was taken to hospital in Cairo and was afterwards transferred to a London hospital from where he came to Ireland on a short furlough. he is an.ephew of Mr. Joseph Maxwell, Dagusville, Ballymena.

Killyless ia a townland outside Ballymena, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland.

From my Ballymena website see below - Weekly War 1916 section - about three or four entries 'down' as you scroll.

Do you have a pic?

Des