Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Cpl J C Worrell MM

Fred W

James Charles Worrell, my uncle, was born at Padiham, Lancashire, in 1900 and was residing in Nelson where he enlisted in the Coldstream Guards in Sept 1914. Awarded the MM in 1918 whilst in the 1st Bn. Discharged March 1919. I am trying to find out what happened to him after then. Can anyone help?

Fred W

Have you tried the Guards Records,They are held I believe @: Birdcage Walk,London a letter might produce results if they have his Service Record,of his intended Employment & Address on discharge,its worth a try. :blink:

Thanks for the thought Harry. I already have his dicharge papers and service record, but they do not help. He was married to my aunt whilst on leave in August 1917, she died in July 1918 (Flu' epidemic) for which he received special leave. He was dicharged on 4th March 1918 and the last mention I have of him is when the Mayor of Nelson presented him with the MM on the 8th March.

Fred

James Charles Worrell, my uncle, was born at Padiham, Lancashire, in 1900 and was residing in Nelson where he enlisted in the Coldstream Guards in Sept 1914. Awarded the MM in 1918 whilst in the 1st Bn. Discharged March 1919. I am trying to find out what happened to him after then. Can anyone help?

Fred W

On a related topic. I have a copy of Len Whittaker's book on the Home Guard.

The C.O. of every Battalion is named, and many of these Lt.Cols have MCs, DSOs etc probably won in WW1.

I can do lookups if required.