Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wrong Memorial?

Johnny S

A soldier I've been researching was KIA in 1914 near Le Gheer/Ploegsteert Wood (ie.South of the River Douve). Another soldier I've researched was killed within days of him at almost exactly the same spot. Both bodies were never recovered, so I'd have assumed that they would both appear on the Ploegsteert Memorial. Wrong! - Only one does. The other is listed on the Menin Gate.

Any ideas why this is so?

Thanks.

John.

John,

I'm not surprised, because I have a similar problem. (Actually the opposite)

A dozen or so men of the 1/Somerset Light Infantry fell at Boezinge, north of Ypres, 6-7 July 1915. You would expect their names on the Menin Gate Memorial.

Yet, they are on Ploegsteert Memorial.

And I suppose Ploegsteert has more mysteries.

Aurel

• 3 weeks later...

Weren't some units operating in this area that were away from their divisions? If ,for example, a certain unit of the "X" division (where the "X" Div was north of the Douve) was fighting with the "Y" Division (South of the Douve), wouldn't their casualties be recorded with the rest from "X" Div? (ie. on the Menin Gate, even though they died in the Ploegsteert area).

Does that make sense?

Just a thought.

Dave.

Thanks for that Dave.

Yes, it does make sense. In the cases I've been looking at (3/Worcs), they were operating outside their "Divisional area" when my men were KIA.

John. :)

• 3 weeks later...

George Barrett died on the Somme. However he is commemorated at Ploegsteert. This is a considerable distance from the battlefield. This is a mystery to me.

However, I have read somewhere (I forget where!) that at the end of the war there were plans for a large number of memorials throughout North East France - architects had been commissioned to design them. However, before they were built, the French government became concerned at the number of such monuments. Many of them were cancelled and the names were 'transferred' to others. I believe that the Ploegsteert Memorial was originally planned to be in France and the Belgian government subsequently 'took it on'.

Can anyone confirm this story?

Paul

There were indeed a larger number of memorials planned but the number had to be reduced because of cost factors as well as the French unease at so much land being required. Originally there were to be twelve UK memorials besides those dedicated to the dominions.

When the decision was taken to reduce the number, a few of the sites had already been acquired by CWGC and so those memorials went ahead - hence the few 'smaller' memorials - Soissons, La Ferte-sous-Jouarre, Neuve Chapelle etc.

The New Zealanders dug their heels in and retained their smaller memorials at the sites of their battles - Caterpillar Valley, Grevillers, Marfaux, Cite Bonjean, Messines Ridge, Buttes etc.

The Ploegsteert Memorial was originally destined for Lille and others had been planned for Cambrai, St Quentin, Bethune and Pozieres. These did not go ahead but extra land was allocated in cemeteries in some of those areas to take the smaller memorials - Cambrai, Pozieres, Le Touret, Loos, Vis-en-Artois.

The names intended for the cancelled memorials were spread over others.