Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Friday 1st May.

Pte Arthur ILIFFE

2444 1/4th Bn, Leicestershire Regiment

Died 11.05.15 Age 24

Commemoration: Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium

Pte John Robert LENEHAN

4398 54th Bn, Australian Infantry

Died between 19.07.16 and 20.07.16

Commemoration: V.C. Corner Australian Cemetery Memorial, France

NOT FORGOTTEN

Pte ILIFFE is a case from the ‘In From the Cold Project’. He died of wounds as a prisoner of war. (Volunteer: Adrian Wright)

May They Rest In Peace

Pte Lenehan has a huge file at the Aus NA - 122 pages - a court of inquiry was held into his disappearance - I wonder if his body is one those found recently at Fromelles

Chris

Rest in peace

Gone and no longer forgotten

Cheers Andy.

Guest KevinEndon

Knowing how much work goes into getting these non-comms recognised I doff my cap to everyone involved and especially to Adrian for the hours of searching it takes, but the result is fantastic as everyone who has a non-comm listed with the CWGC will testify. I would love to go to Brookwood when they either start building a new section or start to carve their names in stone so that they can be remembered forever more.

Kevin

Some background information on Arthur Iliffe, in case a relative ever googles his name:

Arthur Simpson ILIFFE was born in Belgrave, Leicester, in the last quarter of 1890, the 9th of 11 children of George and Betsy Ann (nee Wright - no relation to me!) of 13 Linford Street, Leicester. (His mother died in the 3rd quarter of 1916.)

Arthur enlisted in 4th Bn Leicestershire Regiment at Leicester on 31 August 1914 and went to France on 2 March 1915.

His service record shows that he was reported missing on 11 May 1915, and that in July a German document revealed how he had been wounded and captured by the 5th Bavarian Regiment and had "Died of Wounds in German Lines" the same day.

At least 4 of his 5 brothers also served, two of whom died - George Harry and Frederick Charles.

Good to see him commemorated at last with his brothers!

Rest in Peace Arthur, George and Frederick.

Adrian

I checked through Lenehan service record and found none of the entries or documents that would normally indicate that he was buried in the mass grave at Pheasant Wood.

The archeological excavation starts 5th May.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

www.fromelles.net

• 1 year later...

Funny that Pte Iliffe is mentioned in post #11 of the thread below, I take it he didn't make it much further than the German front line?

Sam