Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pnr Harry VERNON, 218 Coy R.E., KiA 5.4.18

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

Remembering Today:

Pnr Harry VERNON, 248223 218 Field Coy, Royal Engineers, who died aged 33 on 05.04.18. Bienvillers Military Cemetery, France

Name: VERNON, HARRY

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: 218th Field Coy.

Date of Death: 05/04/1918

Service No: 248223

Additional information: Son of George and Mary Vernon, of Manchester; husband of Florence Haylock Vernon, of 610, Stockport Rd., Longsight, Manchester.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: X. C. 8.

Cemetery: BIENVILLERS MILITARY CEMETERY

Born and enlisted in Manchester

This is an interesting story, I think. There appears to be a large number of casualties from the same Field Company on the same day - does anyone know what happened.....?

Spr Herbert Coe

Spr John Earnshaw

Spr David McFarlane

Spr Frank Milton

Spr Alfred Oliver

Spr Alex Veitch

Spr Adam Wright

This field company appears to also have a large percentage of Scottish soldiers.

Very possibly, he is the H Vernon commemorated on the Manchester Corporation Tramways memorial at the Hyde Road depot (and listed in the City's Book of Honour). The depot is very near to his widow's address. Photo of the memorial at Carlscam.com.

• 2 years later...
Guest Rdow100

Hello there, I've just googled my Great Granddad's regiment in and I found this link. My Great Granddad was Alexander Veitch a sapper with the Royal Engineers 218.

I'd love to know more about his story but all I can add to yours is that my mum was told the he died on an explosion on a bridge. That is all we know about it him.

I've just come back from the Somme, visiting the site where my Grandfather was wounded on the first day. No matter how many times I see those graves and the remanents of the trench systems and shell holes the feeling of sadness and loss will never diminish.

I hope some one can enlighten me a bit more,

Regards.