Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 29th April.

Pte Clarence BAILEY

612450 2/19th Bn, London Regiment

Died 22.11.18 Age 23

Commemoration: Helles Memorial, Turkey

Pte George BALL

118573 198 Labour Coy, Labour Corps

Died 23.03.19 Age 33

Commemoration: Arras Memorial, France

L/Cpl Harrison BANNING

M/315600 Army Service Corps

Died 29.07.18 Age 42

Commemoration: Arras Memorial, France

NOT FORGOTTEN

The above are further cases from the ‘In From the Cold Project’.

Pte BAILEY died of dysentery and malaria whilst a prisoner of war in Adana Hospital.

(Volunteer: Glyn Warwick)

Pte BALL was declared missing presumed killed in an accident

(Volunteer: Adrian Wright)

L/Cpl BANNING died of multiple gunshot wounds

(Volunteer: John Hartley)

May They Rest In Peace

I've just seen Banning's death certificate. Not always an easy "safe behind the lines" job being in the ASC - gunshot (although probably shrapnel) wounds to thigh, left leg, foot, hands and chest.

Not forgotten.

Guest KevinEndon

That's a tragic story. Finding out how died can be as sad as knowing that they have been missed for 90 years. I haven't had an overseas through yet but no doubt if I do a trip to see his name on whatever memorial will be involved as long as its not Archangle or Israel.

Kevin

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 29th April.

Pte Clarence BAILEY

612450 2/19th Bn, London Regiment

Died 22.11.18 Age 23

Commemoration: Helles Memorial, Turkey

rial, France

Pte BAILEY died of dysentery and malaria whilst a prisoner of war in Adana Hospital.

(Volunteer: Glyn Warwick)

May they rest in peace, gone and no longer forgotten.

Just an after thought - As I have in the quote, I am wondering if the place of commemoration for Private Clarence Bailey is appropriate. The 2/19th Battalion was part of the 180th Brigade, 60th (London) Division. They never served on Gallipoli. They were in France, Salonika and then Egypt and Palestine.

Charles Fair, being the expert on the Battalion, could probably tell when he was captured. I am thinking that the Jerusalem Memorial would be a more fitting place of commemoration, as he would then be with other members of his Battalion. The memorials would not have been carved yet so maybe someone could contact the CWGC and let them know.

Please don't take it the wrong way as I mean no ill feeling by it.

Cheers Andy.

The Helles Memorial is used for those who died in Turkish hands as PoWs on the Turkish peninsula (as opposed to anywhere else in the Ottoman Empire). It does not matter where he served or was captured in this instance. It is his place of death that is instrumental.

Terry,

I knew you would come up with a plausible reason. :P

I had thought of that but wasn't sure, but that clears it up. I'll have to pay his name a visit when I go back in a couple of years.

Rest in peace Clarence

Cheers Andy.

Raising a glass to the memory of Clarance, George & Harrison. Fallen but not forgotten. Raising another to the efforts of Glyn, Adrian & John.