Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RIBBLE STREET – TRENCHES LEIPSIC REDOUBT MAPS?

the_ageing_young_rebel

Hi

I'm researching my relative who died in WW1 as me and my family are going to visit the battlefields of the somme and I'm hopeing to get as close to his place of death as possible. I have the diaries of the day on which he died and wondered if anybody would be kind enough to show me any of the maps that show the trenches that are mentioned in here:

RIBBLE STREET – TRENCHES LEIPSIC REDOUBT

21st August 1916. . . . “C” and “B” Companies were ordered to make the attack, “A” Company in support, and “D” in reserve. “C” and “B” Companies were each issued with 4 Mills Grenades, 2 sandbags per man. 20 shovels per Company, 50 red flares were also carried. The 1st Wilts Regt who already held the S.W. corner of the LEIPSIC REDOUBT were to attack or bomb simultaneously from the left and join with our left flank at X.1.A.98 and R.31.C.90. A grenade dump was prepared on the right of the position from which the Wilts were attacking which was to, and eventually did, supply our companies after the successful attack. “C” Company moved from RIBBLE STREET about 1.15 pm, to allow time to get into position by the Zero hour which was notified at 6 pm. “B”, “A” & “D” Companies followed in that order. Battalion Head Quarters moved to Quarry BRAE at X.1.C.50, relieving the 7th Warwicks there.

“B” Company were to attack on the right from the Bank at X.1.B.4.2 covering half the frontage to the left from that point, “C” Company covering left half of the frontage. “A” Company were in support at X.1.C.5.0 and “D” Company in reserve at CONISTON X.7.C. The communication trenches leading to our front line had been very badly shelled for the past two days and were in many places practically destroyed. The companies thus found great difficulty in getting into position. However, messages from Captain Wookey O.C. “B” Company and Major Shellard O.C. “C” Company were received about 5.15 pm to say they were ready. At 10 minutes to 6 o’clock “B” Company commenced to move out into position & crawled forward for 100 yards under cover of the rising ground. About 6 pm “C” Company also moved forward, each of the companies now being ready to assault, each company in two waves at 50 yards interval. The barrage was to be intense from 6 pm till 6.5 pm at which time it was to lift to second objective and infantry were to assault. The barrage was so excellent that the leading wave was able to get right up to the parapet and waited there for a few moments for it to lift, on which they rushed the trench, getting in before the enemy could leave their dugouts.

6pm. The Germans in the first trench were nearly all taken prisoners, the only ones offering any resistance being in the centre of the position. These were put out of action, their officer being sniped by Pte. Bizley. A few were shot while retiring to the support line.

The second wave of the attack passed through the first wave in the front trench and captured the support trench with very little opposition. This trench was very badly damaged. Communication trenches were non-existent between the two lines captured. Captain Wookey therefore took command in the original German support line, Major Shellard remaining in command of the whole.

The 1st Wilts on our left also met with immediate success & touch was gained with them as intended, and also with 6th Gloucesters on our right at R.31.D.81.

Our casualties were slight.

LEIPSIC REDOUBT – BOUZINCOURT

22nd/23rd August 1916. The night 21-22 was spent in consolidating the position taken. Special Brigade working parties were also employed digging a communication trench from our original front line to the captured position about junction of X.1.A and X.1.B.

During the night the enemy bombed down the communication trench running N. from R.31.D.81 and drove them out of this point. We thus lost touch with the 6th Gloucesters on our right about 1 am.

The remainder of the night was quiet except for the usual shelling. A post was established at R.31.D.81 at 4pm to keep touch with the 6th Gloucesters. The 22nd passed quietly until 8 pm when the shelling increased and became heavy, a barrage being placed along the original front line. This continued until 10 pm when enemy made a counter attack against our advanced points, both by bombing up communication trenches and attacking over the open. In all, three counter attacks were made, they were all repulsed by bombing and Lewis Gun fire, the artillery also putting a slow barrage across our front. By 3.45 am the situation was normal. During the night we took 15 prisoners of the 15th Guards Reserve Division. On the morning of the 23rd we were relieved by 3rd Worcesters, 25th Division.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated

thanks loads

Dan

• 2 weeks later...