Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion The Leicestershire Regiment

GrahamC

I have transcribed the Diary for this period if anyone wants anything looking up.

Graham

Graham

would there be any mention of a soldier named Cornwell please

Chris

Hi Chris

Sorry - no! But they didn't tend to name names unless an Officer.

Graham

Graham

thanks very much - just thought it was worth a try

Chris

Hi,

many thanks for the offer.

I am researching;

Private 11419 James FARRELL

1st Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment

KiA in Belgium on Friday 25 December 1914

Can you tell me what was going on according to the WD, please, around this date.

By the way, I think his correct name was Darrell but he joined under the name of Farrell.

Many thanks,

Graeme

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Graeme

Sorry not to have replied sooner - been away.

All the WD says for 25th Dec 1914 is:

"Frost. 2 men killed, one wounded." - which probably refers to your man. For virtually the whole of December the Diary reports very little, apart from the weather and some shelling.

Graham

• 1 month later...

Graham

Many thanks for replyıng. I too am sorry for the delay ın replyıng. I resıde ın Turkey for 6 months and only get to an ınternet cafe every now and agaın.

Once agaın many thanks for the ınformatıon.

Graeme

• 5 months later...

hi graham

i wonder if their is any mention of "A" company on the 25th october during the battle of armentieries,as my grandfather was wounded that day. (7421 pte w t capewell).

thanking you for your kindness jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Sorry for the delay in replying - Christmas and all that!!

The 1st Bn. War Diary for 25th Oct does mention 'A' Coy - as follows:

"Sun. Germans attempted to rush trenches at dawn but beaten back with great loss, shelled intermittently all day. 2 Platoons of II Coy were driven out by enfilade fire about 9 a.m. but retrieved position by dusk, ordered to retire during night.Trench line was reinforced by 1 Coy. E YORKS and 2 platoons R. BDE during day. ‘A’ Coy’s line was not seriously attacked.

Casualties: Capt. Waterson. Lt. Waller wounded. 22 other ranks killed, 68 wounded, 98 missing."

Those killed according to SDGW were:

Pt. 6853 E Bailey; Pt. 9561 J Bostock; Pt. 6586 P Bowley; Pt. 6533 H Biggs; Sgt. 7764 W Carter; L/Cpl. 9411 E R Cooke; Pt. 7704 W Curtis; Pt. 6854 T Edwards; Pt. 7297 W Elmore; Dmr. 9324 F C Freeborough; Pt. 9259 T Groocock; Pt. 9660 A Hoult; Pt. 8401 S Hunt; L/Cpl. 9415 W Jeffs; L/Sgt. 8456 B Kelagher; Pt. 7471 D Macdonnell; Pt. 9540 W F Mercer; Pt. 9109 A C Mills; Cpl. 6457 W H Moreby, DCM; Pt. 7659 W J Nixon; Pt. 7719 A North; Pt. 7197 J Oswin; Pt. 7018 H Price; Cpl. 8935 H V Reed; Pt. 7819 J Riley; Dmr. 8875 A Sharpe (d.o.w.); Pt. 6970 E Sharpe; Pt. 6531 J Simpson; L/Cpl. 7635 H Smitten; Pt. 7357 H Stevenson; Pt. 7973 M Summerland; Pt. 6602 A Swan; Pt. 7268 A Thorpe; Pt. 6515 J Turner; Pt. 7218 A Waddams; Pt. 9585 H C Wharfe; Pt. 7694 F Wood; Pt. 9635 H Wragg. (All listed k.i.a. unless stated)

Cpl. 6457 W H Moreby, DCM – mentioned in despatches & recommended for gallantry medal – J. D. P. French, Field-Marshal, Commanding-in-chief, (14th January 1915) (Supplement To The London Gazette, 17 February, 1915. p. 1661)

Hope this is of use

Best wishes and Happy New Year

Graham

hi graham

Many thanks for the information,most interesting,my grandfathers wound was a bullet to the shoulder sounds like he got away lightly from the carnage.

Thank you for your time and happy new year, jonathan