Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Reserve Garrison Battalion, Suffolk Regiment

Archer

We are told that the 1st Reserve Garrison Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment did not serve overseas.

Here's an interesting question

If one wanted to avoid "going to the front" could someone volunteer to join units that were only posted in the UK e.g. 1/6th, 2/6th Cyclist Battalions, 2nd Home Service Garrison Battalion, 1st Reserve Garrison Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment. Alternatively, was it a case that these were recruited from men who were not "A1" in terms of fitness or age (which I suspect is the case) and were perhaps "combed out" in the later stages of the war as the bottom of the barrel was scraped?

As it happens I have some new light on this unit.

Anyone here ever heard of No. 3 Service Company, 1st R.G.B., The Suffolks ? Well, it seems they served in France!

Here's the story:

* HJH undergoes recruits’ medical examination at Stratford in Essex, 10 December 1915

-> He stood five feet, eight inches tall, and wore size 8 boots. He also wore glasses, and was found fit only for service in category B1

* Enlists and is attested in the Army at the General Post Office, 12 December 1915

-> He was a thirty year old bachelor, a telephone linesman by trade, employed as a telephonist (or “telephone attendant”) in the Post Office’s Call Office. He was still living with his parents in Forest Gate

* Commences full-time service at Stratford and is mustered on strength as Private, No. G12544, The Royal West Surrey Regiment, 3 April 1916

* Struck off strength, Royal West Surrey Regiment, and is posted to The Oxford & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, [date unknown]

* Struck off strength, Oxford & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, and is posted and mustered on strength as Private, No. 6680, 2/5th Battalion, The Bedfordshire Regiment, 23 December 1916

* Struck off strength, 2/5th Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment, and is posted to 2/5th Battalion, The Essex Regiment, 26 January 1918

* Struck off strength, 2/5th Battalion, Essex Regiment, and is posted and mustered on strength as Private, No. 52535, 1st (Reserve) Garrison Battalion (1st R.G.B.), The Suffolk Regiment, 22 February 1918

* Mustered on strength, “B” Company, 1st R.G.B., The Suffolks

* Embarks at Folkestone for France, 18 March 1918

* Lands at Boulogne, 18 March 1918

* Taken on strength, “L” Infantry Base Depot, 19 March 1918

* Posted to No. 3 Service Company, 1st R.G.B., The Suffolks, at Cherbourg, 22 March 1918

* Mustered on strength, No. 3 Service Company, Cherbourg, 23 March 1918

* Transferred to England, proceeding to Purfleet, for demobilisation, 28 February 1919

* Discharged from the Army on demobilisation, and transferred to the Class “Z” Reserve, with effect from 31 March 1919

* Awarded the British War and Victory Medals, issued to him on 11 January 1922

So, for a wonder, men of the 1st Reserve Garrison Battalion, Suffolk Regiment, did indeed serve overseas and received "Mutt and Jeff" for their pains.

William

William

1st (Garrison Reserve) Bn Suffolks actually sent three companies overseas. Two served on the lines of communication in the Mediterranean from Sep 1917. The other, to which you refer, went to France in 1916 to carry out police duties on the lines of communication. During the period Apr-May 1918 it formed part of 5th Provisional Guard Bn, together with three Area Employment coys of the Labour Corps. This bn formed part of the 199th (Garrison) Bde, which was given the task of holding defences in depth in Third Army's area. At the end of May the Area Employment Coys were converted to infantry, helping to reform 40th and 59th Divisions, but the Suffolks reverted to their original role on the lines of communication.

As far as I am aware the Suffolks were the only Garrison Reserve Bn to serve overseas, but I have not been able to find out the reasons behind this.

Charles M

Charles

from my research I have found that the 1st Garrison Bn of the Northamptonshires served in Salonika

Chris

Thanks Charles!

Don't you love this forum? It's all here - somewhere!! :)

Charles

from my research I have found that the 1st Garrison Bn of the Northamptonshires served in Salonika

Chris

Yes, but this was a Garrison bn as opposed to a Garrison Reserve bn. Garrison bns were formed from medical category B men to relieve Territorial bns serving overseas on garrison duties. Garrison Reserve bns trained and provided men for Garrison and Home Service Garrison bns.

Charles M