Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serbia Cross of Mercy

taylorsearcher

There are two aspects of my Great Grandfather's war service that I would appreciate assistance in finding more about:

1) Born in 1863, he had a long service in the Territorials and, later, the Regular Army. Sadly, he was killed - as a result of an accident - less than a month before the armistice (CWGC Citation attached). I also attach a picture of his medals, worn by his mother after his death. I am advised that the second row / right hand is the Serbia Cross of Mercy. I would be interested in finding out how he came to be awarded this decoration. Anybody have any suggestions?

2) I also attach a copy of a 'newspaper' article relating to his prowes as a recruitment officer. I have tried to find - without success - the publication that ran the article. Can anyone suggest ?

Although not an officer, his demise is mentioned by name in the interesting Wart Diary for the 58th Labour Company. This is very gratifying in view of the fact that his service records did not survive. (although, happily, his 1901 and 1902 Attestations for the Boar War did).

F2.pdf

There are two aspects of my Great Grandfather's war service that I would appreciate assistance in finding more about:

1) Born in 1863, he had a long service in the Territorials and, later, the Regular Army. Sadly, he was killed - as a result of an accident - less than a month before the armistice (CWGC Citation attached). I also attach a picture of his medals, worn by his mother after his death. I am advised that the second row / right hand is the Serbia Cross of Mercy. I would be interested in finding out how he came to be awarded this decoration. Anybody have any suggestions?

2) I also attach a copy of a 'newspaper' article relating to his prowes as a recruitment officer. I have tried to find - without success - the publication that ran the article. Can anyone suggest ?

Although not an officer, his demise is mentioned by name in the interesting Wart Diary for the 58th Labour Company. This is very gratifying in view of the fact that his service records did not survive. (although, happily, his 1901 and 1902 Attestations for the Boar War did).

Sadly, I now see that the latter attachments are too large to be attached...400K plus

Any ideas how I can provide ???

• 1 month later...

Good Gosh!!

Who was your G-Grandpa...palace private secretary/bodyguard?..... a Metropolitan D.I.?

That is an amazing group of medals! :mellow:

The Royal Humane society citation should be out there somewhere.

What I have says there were two versions: 1912 and 1913.

It apparently is a life saving medal, not a Red Cross merit award.

Alas, I can not help more because I do not read Serbo-Croat.

However, there is a Red Cross collector (a Reverend) on the OMSA.org site who will probably know. He goes by "redcross". He also hangs his collar over at the GMIC.co.uk website on occasion.

His website is here:

http://www.richardajordan.com/Red_Cross/index.html

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the info.

Sadly, I cannnot find a forum user of 'redcross' on the OMSA site, so I've issued a query thread about this subject .

I do not know what "JMcCulloch" looked at, if the link in the first post cannot be opened, but I have a limited capability in Serbo-Croatian. Also, I think that Serb Cyrillic is not identical to Russian Cyrillic, and additionally the Serbian Cyrillic alphabet has occasionally shed a letter or two; I think that about 1800 it had something like 33 letters.

I might be able to reach a Serb friend, but not right away.

What should I try to open?

Bob Lembke

I do not know what "JMcCulloch" looked at, if the link in the first post cannot be opened, but I have a limited capability in Serbo-Croatian. Also, I think that Serb Cyrillic is not identical to Russian Cyrillic, and additionally the Serbian Cyrillic alphabet has occasionally shed a letter or two; I think that about 1800 it had something like 33 letters.

I might be able to reach a Serb friend, but not right away.

What should I try to open?

Bob Lembke

Hi Bob,

herewith, attachment:

F2.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get an answer?

I have the comprehensive Serbian medals guide, which basically only identifies the medal.

However, several Serbian contacts are around who may be able to look him up in the archives in Belgrad. Are you still looking for information?

I added a link to rev. Jordans' website above-hope it helps. :innocent: