Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

U boats in Morecambe Bay

Anthony Gorst

Hi all

Just returned from a visit to Moreambe. While there my dad told me that two U boats that were being broken up (or due to be broken up) alongside tje Stone Jetty broke loose and sank in Morecambe Bay. Apparently it was not felt to be worthwhile to try and raise them so there they remain (presumbaly covered in sand). Anyone come across this story before?

Thanks

It would be interesting to know which ones;)

Cheers Ron

Guest KevinEndon

Whilst searching you may come across a ww1 U-Boat sunk about 18 miles straight out of Amlwch on Anglesey, still with its torpedoes in the tubes as the skipper knows a few blokes who have dived it. It's possible this was on its way to be chopped.

Kevin

There is still the remnants of three WW1 U-Boats in the river Medway. there was a thread on them a while back. The Medway boats are still visible but are considered dangerous to approach.

I think it is unlikely that there would still be torpedoes on board a vessel due to be scrapped unless it was scuppered by its crew.

The only possible candidate is U3, this is recorded as being sunk on route to Preston. The boats recorded as being broken up at Morecambe are U9, U101, UC52 AND UC96. They could possibly have suffered the same fate as the Medway boats, the engines and generators were removed for re-use and they floundered when the hulks were being towed away for scrap.

Kevinaka1888 said:
Whilst searching you may come across a ww1 U-Boat sunk about 18 miles straight out of Amlwch on Anglesey, still with its torpedoes in the tubes as the skipper knows a few blokes who have dived it. It's possible this was on its way to be chopped.

Sounds like H5 ? diving on which was the subject of this recent thread

NigelS

It is not H5 which lies much further south and 9.82-n.miles SSW of Holy Island in Caernarfon Bay, Wales; also a designated war grave.

Cheers Ron

Kevin

All Torpedo's were removed by the Germans prior to surrender. I have a copy of the original orders.

Guy

• 14 years later...

Hi Anthony, I believe it is true. Two boats as far as I am aware U-9 which sank Aboukir Bay, Crecy an Hogue and U-101. They were to be broken up at TT Wards Shipbreakers at what is now Stone Jetty in Morecambe. This picture may be of interest (with my thanks to the Copyright Owner)

38830601220_ce26e9340c_c.jpg

Edited by Fircombe Hall

News paper article on BNA confirms it is U9

Saturday 24 May 1919
Newspaper: Lancashire Evening Post

Just realised why the HMS HOGUE sounded familiar....

One of them men I'm researching on my website was killed whist serving on it!

Cheers 

John

Edited by johnmelling1979

I’m not convinced that the above aerial photo showing the T.W. Ward Ltd. Morecambe Ship breakers yard accurately identifies the ships that are lying alongside - in particular I don’t see any clear visual evidence of U-101 (or indeed U-9).

Additional details, including a cleaner image of the same photo can been found here.. https://blog.mechanicallandscapes.com/2016/11/22/464-shipbreaking-in-morecambe/

MB