Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge

aconnolly

Pals

I suspect the answer is already on the forum, but my powers of searching are poor to say the least...

As the 91st anniversary of the raid approaches this Thursday can someone please give me the figures for total number of men on the raid as well as killed/wounded/prisoner if possible. I've misplaced my copy of Barry Pitt's book.

Much appreciated

Andrew

Andrew.

In the absence of more authoriative sources, attached is a summary of the casualties for the Zeebrugge Raid, i.e. killed, died of wounds, missing and wounded (no mention of prisoners). The total appears to agree with that mentioned by Admiral Keyes in his full despatch to the Admiralty, which was published in The Times 20 Feb 1919 (I will post a couple of summaries for that after this).

If you're interested, I can send you a PDF of Sir Roger Keyes' full despatch (two full pages).

regards,

Martin

post-29417-1240515911.jpg

Martin

Many thanks - greatly appreciated. I have tracked down the Despatch on the Gazette - thanks for the reference.

Cold and wet here in Auckland, but Dawn Parade in around 5 1/2 hours. Will say a prayer for the AIF as we fall silent.

Regards

Andrew

You're welcome, Andrew. Thanks. We had a few showers at Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula, just as a RAN Commander began his address, but it held off. I had the honour, along with one of my sisters, to lay the wreath for the HMAS Canberra and HMAS Shropshire Association.

regards,

Martin