Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Royal West Kents, January 1915

stoker99

One of the men of the 8th RWK that I'm researching died in January 1915, while the new battalion was in training in Worthing. Did the battalion keep a war diary, or any other kind of record, whilst they were in training? Does anyone know if there's any mention of deaths whilst training?

Thanks!

From what I can see on Procat the 8th Bttn War Diary starts in August 1915 when the bttn crossed to France. If you want cause of death you could try the Death Certificate.

Regards,

Jonathan S

There should be an account of the death in the Worthing newspapers. Probably an account of the coroner's inquiry as the inquest would have been held locally. Do you have the man's name?

From the CWGC:

G/4229 Private Sidney Ford, 8th Battalion, Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment).

Died on Tuesday 5th January 1915, age 20. Buried in Worthing (Broadwater) Cemetery, Sussex.

• 1 year later...

With regard to the local Worthing press, is there a library, as I am tracing a G Uncle who served in this Battalion, are there any photos of this Battalion.

Regards

Inniskilling

Thanks Johnathan,

After reading the other threads, I must have a visit to Maidstone Archives to view the Kent Messenger. Would the Museum have any photos.

Regards

Inniskilling.

The Kent Messenger is on microfische at the Maidstone Reference Library - to the best of my knowledge still located next to the RWK museum in Bentliff House. I havent been through the KMs in Maidstone for sometime and I dont remember much about the Eighth being mentioned. They were not a Maidstone based battalion, being billtted/ trained in the Shoreham, Brighton, Worthing areas of East Sussex. Im not sure where the primary recruiting area was for the 8th, for example 6 Bn associated with Bromley as they heavily recruited from that part of kent, but if the 8 Bn had a specific area you would want to view the KMs for that locale (to best of my knowledge there were different editions of the KM depending on the local area).

A large part of the museum photo collection used to be on line but has been taken down - I dont know if there are plans to restore it. What I am pretty sure there wont be, are platoon, company, etc., photos relating to 8 Bn ... might be some general photos of 8 Bn in training but I really cant recall. You would obviously have to make sepcial arrangements with the museum to view these and I dont know how easy that is (ie. what the cataloguing is like).

FYI - the RWK gallery in the Maidstone Museum is currently being refurbished. I know there were hopes that it would be reopened for the Regimental Reunion on 12 Sept but I dont think there was actually much chance of this happening, so if you plan to visit the museum check the RWK gallery is open.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Sidney Ford's Short Service Attestation Record (Army Form B 2065) shows him enlisting on 31 October 1914 aged 19 years and 120 days (born about 1895). Sidney is shown as coming fro Yalding in Kent. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks Johnathan

It is very nice of you to take the trouble to answer my questions and point me in the right direction. I will take note of your experience.

Thomas Whitting 2028, I have found some of his service record, would I be able to find which company he served in.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Inniskilling

Hello Peter Zieminsk

Thanks for your help ,I may have confused things by adding a topic on a previous post, I was looking for another Soldier and the Bn in general.

Regards

Inniskilling

I think Peter was replyinmg to Richard's original query. Its unlikely there is any documentation left to indicate which Company he served with. A paper obituary might say, but very unlikely. There may be a diary somewhere thats says "my pal Tom died today, we were in the same company ..." and the company may be identified elsehwere, but these are very unlikely possibilities.

If the 2028 service no. is a G prefix, then he enlisted first week of Sept 1914, or thereabouts. You may have the exact date already from the partial service record.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Hello Johnathan

Thats right, G 2028 did finish the war as a SGT, wounded several times the last time being Oct/1918 .

No hope for which Company.

Regards

Inniskilling