Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PRIVATE 49452 C.P. ROWDING 2ND LINCOLNSHIRE REG

Guest epsonb1

Guest epsonb1

Hi,

Having tried for so long to find my Great Uncle's name on any of Sheffields war memorials and having failed miserably can anyone help me?

He was Private 49452 C. P. Rowding who seved with the 2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment and was killed on the 21st March 1918 and is buried in Peronne Communal Cemetry.

I believe that he was living in Brightside/Brierlow Sheffield at the time of enlisting though this info could be inaccurate.

Any help would be grateful,

Thanks,

epsonb1

epsonb1

The Soldiers Died CD records your Great Uncle as being Born in Sheffield and Enlisting in Sheffield.

Regards Doug

Hi.

Given his Lincolnshire number i think he is likely to have joined the Regiment in either late 1917 or early 1918. He is certainly not an early war recruit. However it is possible he may have transferred to the Lincs from another unit, although the majority of these men tend to have numbers in the lower 40000's.

Incidentily Rowding would have been with the 2nd Lincs at Chapel Hill (near Epehy) on the date of his death.

Not much but a start

Chris

Dear epsonb1 – Since I was having a week in Cambrai last week, and since I live in Lincoln and often visit Sheffield, and having a day out in St Quentin, I thought I would loop round via Péronne on the way back to the hotel and take some pictures of your great uncle’s grave (always pleased to pop into Péronne). Silly fool – I’d left my camera in Cambrai. Still, having got the idea in my head, popped into Auchan for a dirt cheap instant camera. The quality may not be wonderful, but you should be able to see what you could go and see and take more techy pictures.

If you send me your address in a private email, I’ll pop the camera in the post and you can get them developed – you can even take 21 family photos for yourself.