Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Other POW records

Guest Oriel_SSR

Guest Oriel_SSR

I have long searched for records on my Grandfather who was taken prisoner probably at Passchendaele in late 1917(His brother was KIA 15th Sept 1916).

I have found reference to 3 other ranks missing believed captured, but no names shown, in the Batt War Diaries for the period of my interest.

I have been in touch with the Red Cross in London and Switzerland, who inform me they have no record for the person concerned.

The Regt Museum hold no records, and I have not found him whilst researching at the IPM.

There is no doubt about his internment, amusing (now), he arrived home 3 days before his "wife" was to have married a third party ??

Any suggestions of where else to search

Regards

Oriel_SSR

What was his name.

Work has been done by some of us on the forum concerning WW1 POWs - if you could let us have a name you never know your luck.

Regards

Mike S

Guest Oriel_SSR

He was 202832 Pvte Owen Wilfred Vaughan of the 1/1st Herts Regt.

It is interesting to note that he later became 265967 Pvte Owen Wilfred Vaughan of the 4th Batt Essex Regt.

I have never before come across a serving member of the forces to be issued 2 concurrent service numbers.

I can currently only assume that since he was posted MIA his records where closed - once he resurfaced (so to speak) on his return from POW camp, the WO gave him a new number, to put him back on the books. That is unless someone else knows better.

Regards

Oriel_SSR

Oriel a welsh window on a surname

He has two numbers because, at some point, he was transfered from Herts to Essex. According to the official allocation of numbers 265967 is actually a 5th Essex number but he was presumably posted from 5th to 4th at some point.

His record would not have been 'closed' when he was reported misisng - he would have continued to be 202832 Herts during his captivity. I would say he was transfered after his repatriation.

Jock Bruce