Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible Non-comm?

Phil Evans

Through another thread on the Forum, I have recently come across this man, who I cannot find on CWGC, although he is commemorated on three local memorials within the London Borough of Lewisham:

Wallace Ambrose TRUSCOTT, Rifleman 4958 and 303020

5th Bn, City of London Regiment (London Rifle Brigade)

Although most of his service was with 1/5th, in July 1917 he was posted to 2/5th. On 20th September 1917 he was wounded in action near Ypres. He entered Northumberland War Hospital on 27th Sept, where he remained until a Medical Board, held on 6th October, found him medically unfit and he was discharged under Para 392 (xvi) on 29th October. The Medical Board found for total incapacity, attributable to active service, due to gun shot wound to the back resulting in a fractured spine and paralysis of the lower limbs.

His record has survived in WO 364.

On 13th May 1918 he died in Lewisham Military Hospital. His death certificate records (1) Gunshot wound of spinal cord, (2) Paralysis. Exhaustion.

I haven’t been able to locate his grave yet, mainly due to LBL wanting £30 per search.

I am prepared to put his case forward, which in my eyes, is sound, but wanted to check that I haven’t missed anything, or that he was already being considered.

Any advice and comments would be appreciated.

Phil

Phil

Terry Denham will be able to confirm if the In From The Cold Project already has this chap on our list - although seeing as his death was after discharge, I suspect he isn't

Assuming he isnt hiding somewhere on CWGC, his acceptance is all but guaranteed as his death is clearly related to his service.

John

Thanks John,

I've tried every combination I can think of so far on CWGC.

I'll wait for Terry now to check through his lists.

Phil

Phil

He is not in CWGC.

As John says, this is not in IFCP's lists as he is a post discharge case.

If you wish me to put it forward through the system, just send a PM. Otherwise, good luck with your submission but it looks a certainty.

Thanks Terry for confirming that he isn't on CWGC.

I'm happy to submit it myself. I think I have all the necessary documentation and Forum member Ady (mmm45) has been a great help in giving me a template to work to.

Phil

• 1 year later...